View Single Post
Old 12-21-2012, 11:33 AM
deejd
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 22 deejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond reputedeejd has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 494,576,910.26
Total Points: 1,494,655,044.29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
Did you even read the entire article? Not the small part I posted, I'm talking about the link?

He never said it was bad or that it was useless. As a matter of fact he said it has it's place and can be beneficial in boxing. His take is that many trainers are using it PRIMARILY as their training tool or using it to look impressive as if they know what they are doing and don't.

I don't know who coach Rick is but that is a classic example of what I'm talking about and what the article outlines. It's not condemning that style of mitts if used in combination with the basics but there is an increasing amount of "trainers" that learn that and use that as their primary teaching tool.

Here's some more of the article that I assume you didn't bother reading.
I did read the article, and again, because I made a mistake giving you the benefit of the doubt, the tone that the writer takes is quite reluctant to the idea of that specific mitt work. To downplay it by saying it's used for speed and flash is wrong.

Do trainers use it to show off, I don't believe it for a second. A trainer has to be able to comprehend what they're teaching the fighter. Do the fighters think they're legit because they're doing it; of course.

The writer claims it's just paddy-cake work; do you think it's paddy-cake work? Pretty sure I've seen Mayweather, Mickie Bey, Jessie Vargas, and a host of others load up on some of those counters when doing the drill.

Here are some other action words the writer uses to describe the mitt work:

- Chimpmunk quick mitt work (didn't even use commas where needed)
- paddy-cake-paddy-work
- Touching
- Cookie cutter
- Choreography

The mere fact that the writer resides in that it's choreographed is the worst part. There's a difference between remembering which counter to throw and something being choreographed. A ballet is choreographed, synchronized swimming is choreographed, a theatrical production is choreographed; when a fan at the gym requests a triple hook, and Mayweather is obliged to do so, or when Roger says "catch" or "roll" and Mayweather reacts, that's not choreography. Even Jr. has talked to Roger during the mitt work and told him what he wants to see more of [i.e. shots to the body to work on upper cuts, see pad work for Cotto media day].

Are you starting to comprehend what I mean. He can take shots at all the trainers he wants to, but he's essential trying to shoot down that style of mitt work. Nothing wrong with supporting the basics... but it's wild how the basics haven't worked against Mayweather yet his pull counters, check hooks, and lead rights rolling under seem to do the trick every time.

Last edited by deejd; 12-21-2012 at 11:38 AM.