View Single Post
Old 12-19-2012, 07:50 PM
warp1432
the mailman

Rep Power: 57 warp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond reputewarp1432 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 212,832,940,883,597.31
Total Points: 212,938,751,752,112.56
5k post celebration. - !! AI-Holmes!! Have a drink on me! - RiZOOM you're killing me in the cotto thread , kid. i'm trying to get 2-1/3-1 odds from a pissed off cotto fan. :-) - Left Hook Tua Always droppin knowledge. Thanks for the vid bro, I owe ya. - Spiegelo No Message - texanballer 
thanks for the support - texanballer For being a stand up guy. You rule. - FRKO Defo in need of an apple warp - danc1984 RBRs when I'm at work are much appreciated - DWiens421 10k posts and for being a good poster - Golden Boy 360 
10k posts warp. Let's celebrate this shit. - danc1984 Marry me, ese. - El Gallo Homo! 
Children with Disabilities - Parkinson's Disease - VACTERL - Young Onset Parkinson's Association - Left Hook Tua 
Send a message via AIM to warp1432

Quote:
Originally Posted by brickcityboxing View Post
Just got a gig writing for a site. My first event is on Friday and my second one will be Saturday (Adamek vs Cunningham 2 ). I'm about as green as can be when it comes to this sort of thing and I'm starting to get a little nervous. I really thought this would be a "dream job" (not getting paid) , but the more I think about it the more I'm starting to think it might suck to have to sit there and not be able to enjoy the fight because I'm thinking about writing, or I can't cheer if someone lands something big because its prob not professional.

Am I overthinking this ?
Nothing to worry about ?
Can you cover an event and still have a good time ?

Any advice and or tips would be greatly appreciated.
What I like to do when the fights are happening is keep track on a laptop/notebook of what happens in each particular round. Just take quick notes as the action as happening. They don't need to be anything in depth, but just note what happens in the round (i.e. Boxers feeling each other out. Cunningham lands a good right hand in the first half of the round. Adamek answers back with a left).

This will help you when writing your post fight report for later. For the undercard fights, I like to write the wrap up in between fights. Normally I just write a couple of sentences to cover the bout and go indepth for the main event.

How familiar are you with writing in a journalistic style? Most leads (the beginning) are only a sentence between 25-30 words. Use quotes to support the structure of the story. Trust me, it makes your writing flow a lot better. I didn't do this at first and looking back, my writing was crap.

That all being said, I have a great time at covering events. The fights are just as enjoyable and if anything, you get way better access than you would normally.

Don't focus on being nervous there. Focus on your writing. I'm not an expert by any means, but I've gotten some really good advice along the way from professors to writers in the field (Boxingscene's own David Greisman)

Hope this helps.

(Background info: I've covered fights in the Chicago land area for the last three years. For the past two years, I've written for Maxboxing.com and am a journalism student at DePaul University.)