View Single Post
Old 12-11-2012, 05:53 PM
edgarg
Honest BoxingScene posts

Rep Power: 34 edgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond reputeedgarg has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 25,739,671.50
Top Poster - WLAD OWNS one of boxingscene's best - Carnivore you're great poster - keep on setting them straight! - Freedom. your an excellent poster - happyman You're a tremendous poster. - Weltschmerz 
Again, great post man - Cuauhtémoc1520 So you can kiss up to Bob Arum better - ShoulderRoll For being a very knowledgeable poster! - PainfromUkraine for helping - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Corso View Post
The examples you've used aren't ATG so I'm not sure what your criterior is.
Passed greats can loose a decs. when their at their end (prime) or in their youth but as someone mentioned if they've already attained greatness then their the ones who hang around to long will loose some bouts, its the course.
Sugar Ray lost a few decs to Harrington at the end of his career, nobody cares. Ray got to go to Hawaii for few months and had a great time other than fighting that crazy southpaw!!!

Young fans place WAY to MUCH emphasis on losses, I guess because of Mayweather but Mayweather has maintained his record by avoiding high caliber opponents. Not exactly the way to maintain a undefeated record!

Ray
Weeell, it IS actually the way to maintain an undefeated record. You may not recall, because writing habits change, and writers change, but the analysts and writers some years ago always used to mentions Mayweather's "Brains Trust" (probably meaning his father and uncles, and maybe one other) who carefully selected his opponents, to give his the maximum advantage, with the least possible risk. Oscar's matchup guys also used to be called his "Brains Trust".

But, as I say, people and writers have changed and nobody remembers this.