View Single Post
Old 11-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Light_Speed
SPEED IS POWER

Rep Power: 54 Light_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond reputeLight_Speed has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 2,055,560,726,346.29
Total Points: 2,301,560,923,156.67
Good poster - dancovboxer can't green you right now, but here's a gift. good poster - chiguy91 smart man - Alx. Thanks for Stream dude much appreciated - Berges For the Pac shooting gun video - Libido Sanchez 
No Message - chiguy91 thanks for posting the matthysse exhibition - chiguy91 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rasheed Mexico View Post
lol...yeah that's what I meant (Duboeuf).

One thing I will say is GBP isn't great at creating buzz for their fighters. Floyd is pretty much a self made man but you have to think that if Canelo was with Top Rank....they would have him looking like an absolute killer right now.

When you think about how they develop guys and the buzz they create....they will always be a player in boxing.

Cotto's buzz up until 2008
Pacquiao's run as the mexicutioner, then his post Oscar buzz
DLH in his prime
Margarito's post Cotto buzz

I mean they know how to match guys to make their fighters look like Killers/beast. People get mad and criticize them, but that's the whole point of being a promoter.....to make your fighter look like a machine.

Until GBP can do that....they won't pull away from the crowd. they have the talent, but look at what happens to their fighters. I mean as soon as they look good, they go out and get destroyed.

Ortiz, Kirkland, Maidana, Khan.....and the list goes on. For some reason they have the worst match making skills in boxing.
I think GBP did a great job with Canelo, he's got a lot of buzz around him and does great numbers without having beaten a single elite fighter. He's a bigger draw than a guy like Brando Rios for example, who's about the same age and has been in the ring with dangerous opponents.

I don't think GBP's matchmaking skills are bad, again look at what they're doing with Canelo. TR let the Gamboa/Lopez fight marinate too long and Lopez got knocked out twice, that's not good matchmaking. Jose Benavidez got a near death experience in his last fight, one more shot and he would be TR's version of Linares.

TR will always be a player but the question is, will they be the TOP player? I don't think so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
Since when is Khan a cashcow?

Also, Top Rank has Juan Manuel Marquez as a cashcow. And what do you mean by champions? Title holders? If so, that seems low for both companies.
Khan is a cash cow if you take into account the money he generates in the UK. There's a reason why he was in negotiations to fight Floyd.

Marquez is not with Top Rank, he's with Zanfer promotions, they just make a deal with TR whenever he fights Pacquiao.

From a commercial standpoint there's no difference between a legit champ and a strap holder. So 11 to 3 is pretty significant.

Last edited by Light_Speed; 11-26-2012 at 04:06 AM.