View Single Post
Old 11-24-2012, 12:38 PM
MikeRo1972
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 7 MikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond reputeMikeRo1972 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 41,388,184,586.45
Total Points: 41,388,189,799.37

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubanGuyNYC View Post
Nice thoughts.

Reading your story I began to reflect on my recollections of Camacho. We were only a few years apart in age, he being a little older. Growing up in upper-Manhattan, near the Bronx, and being a boxing fan, I obviously heard a few things about Hector. In fact, I recall that he dated a girl in the class above me in high school. A friend of mine, in her class, told me Camacho showed up at their graduation wearing his (then) omnipresent "Macho" nameplate. This might not sound like anything to some, but we attended a Catholic high school, where the boys wore suit and tie daily, and the girls wore the classic Catholic schoolgirl uniform. lol

I didn't like Camacho. I wanted Rosario to beat him and cheered when Chavez achieved the feat. I've never been a fan of loudmouth boxers and cringe when some of the guys I follow push the envelope. Hector was about as loud as they came. lol For better or for worse, you could say that Camacho always "kept it real". That flamboyant persona you saw on television was no act. His wild ways carried over to his life outside the ring. It claimed his life like so many inner-city kids I knew growing up. It took a lot longer, in Hector's case, but it seems the outcome was, sadly, inevitable.

I spoke to my dad, who's not a big boxing fan, on the phone a couple of days ago. He asked me if I'd heard about Camacho. When I replied in the affirmative, he sounded genuinely sad. I was somewhat surprised at this. Not only isn't my father a big fan, but he doesn't like guys with Hector's persona any more than I do. Time has a way of smoothing things over. If we mature, we become more forgiving, more accepting.

RIP "Macho"
Nice thoughts. Macho is the classic cautionary tale