View Single Post
Old 11-22-2012, 09:19 PM
taansend
In denial about UK refs

Rep Power: 23 taansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond reputetaansend has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,208,982,424.12
Good poster. - ddangerous Nice looking pup.  Have anyother Pepsi - ABOSWORTH 
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by -Kev- View Post
Sugar Ray Leonard, an all time great, traveled outside of the US just once. That was to fight Roberto Duran in Canada. Not a fighter in his hometown.
Leonard arguably my favourite US fighter.

I think a lot of that was down to economics. The UK was messed up when he fought Dave Green & there were so many great US based fighters that he just didn't need to. Nowadays the world is a lot smaller & boxing is a minor sport in the US.

Back when Leonard was champ, he & other boxers were regularly on commercials. Not any more.

Making a global brand is very important & boxing is a bigger sport in the UK than in the US. And British fans tend to adopt great American fighters (or other countries). If Broner beats Burns (in the UK) & acts classy he'll have a load more fans buying his ppv than if Burns has to travel to the US for the bout.

Personally, I'd rather the fight was in Florida so I can watch it but Broner would earn so much more respect it he fought Burns in Scotland.