View Single Post
Old 11-18-2012, 01:14 PM
kenso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 kenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond reputekenso has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 1,051,336,173.83
Total Points: 1,053,140,084.48
Send a message via AIM to kenso

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel View Post
Wladimir was given more chances than other fighters who have failed because during those stretches there was no true young heavyweight super star.
I see what you are saying but I think it not necessarily that in itself. At the end of each of those fights, ESPECIALLY the Brewster fight, he was being written off as a fraud big time. He legitimately worked his way back up through the rankings each time and did what he had to do to get the title shot(s). Other divisions are really no different. Take the career of Zab Judah for example. This guy has been up and down his entire career, but always seems to get a title shot because he beats the contenders to get there.

I think if Klitschko was in a stacked division, he would have been heralded as a gatekeeper for a little while, but would have eventually found his way back up to the top. It just wouldn't have been as fast.

As a side note:
I agree that Peter was never going to take the world by storm. However, the version that fought Wlad in their first fight would have been a solid fighter in many eras, although never more than a momentary belt holder. He wasn't that over weight at that time. He was 243 lbs and you could see his abs. He hit hard as hell, wasn't slow, but just didn't have the tools of a long-standing world champion.