View Single Post
Old 11-16-2012, 05:00 AM
Simurgh
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 11 Simurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond reputeSimurgh has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 102,048,102,322.62
Happy New Year - Freedom. one of boxingscene's best posters - Freedom. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year - Freedom2013 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jel View Post
I'm not talking about the 'other guys' I'm talking about the #1 challenger to the king's throne. Which is Vitali.

It's a unique situation because Wladimir's resume is literally build not on quality of opposition but on stats and longevity.

It's not like a Sugar Ray Leonard who don't really need any long title reign because he fought multiple Elite and ATG Fighters. Wladimir needs a long title reign because he is just like Larry Holmes in terms of sub par resume(as compare to their counter parts in the top 10 echelon)

Also take into consideration that Wlad was already knocked out 3 times. A fourth knock out would have effectively ended his career, VItali could have delivered that fourth knock out. It is extremely inaccurate to say Wladimir is the best HW of his generation when he never fought the guy who could beat him. That's a joke. Once again a excusable joke, because they are brothers, but it does not change the fact Wlad never fought this era's #2.

In fact Wlad never even fought this era's #3(Povetkin). Wladimir is one of the very few guys who have not fought the #2 OR the #3 and he is already 35-36.

The K2 Tag team combined their forces to clean out a division, that is something unique and very special, but to just 'assume' they could have done it by themselves without the other is just pure speculation.
Interesting post but I have a few remarks.

In case of Wlad it is very important to say he was not TKOed in his prime. He is a kind of fighter that matured quite late (I am not saying he wasn't a very good fighter before, but only with Manny he became what he is today - one of the best ATG in my opinion/not just resume based). To compare version of Wlad who fought any of the fights where he was TKOed is like comparing Tyson who KOed Holmes and Tyson who was KOed by Williams. I believe that's how far Wlad was from what he is today.

Second remark is that I really can't see of all opponents that Vitali fought that anyone would give Wlad a difficult challenge. He took almost 80% of contenders on his own. I don't think Arreola, Chisorra or Adamek would present any realistic dangerous for Wlad. They just don't poses what it's needed to provide even remotely competitive fight. Wlad has already fought better version of each fighter Vitali fought (I take Haye over Adamek, prime Peter over Chisorra and prime Thomson over Arreola).

The only reason why Wlad didn't already fight Povetkin is quite obvious. As soon as they meet Povetkin would become utter bum and another not-worthy Wlad's victim.