View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 05:25 AM
Capaedia
JMM Stan

Rep Power: 18 Capaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond reputeCapaedia has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 105,434,768,036.83
Total Points: 249,285,282,280.79
your pressie - McGoorty Keep up the top posts! - Barnburner 1000 posts! Keep spreading knowledge. - JAB5239 1,000 posts - Scott9945 Great posting - joseph5620 
Pacquiao vs Marquez IV! - Check_hooks Happy Holidays  Capaedia - !! AI-Holmes!! Happy holidays bro! - led* happy holidays to a good poster - Cleto_Reyes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Japanese Boxing View Post
IMO Walcott was a much more intelligent boxer than Frazier.
So were Ali, Mathis, Machen, Quarry and Ellis.

Quote:
If we're going h2h you gotta think Frazier at some point would try to trade with Marciano which would be a really bad thing for him. Marciano hit as hard as Foreman but was relentless and didn't need to pace himself.
Whoa, what? Who did Marciano prove that against? Foreman was throwing men like Ken Norton (6'3) off their feet and tossing them around like children.

Marciano was putting away much smaller men than Foreman, and he was taking a lot more shots to do it. Later in the fight as well. On top of that, a lot of these fighters were nobodies, I'm not saying Foreman fought a full list of HOFers but he certainly fought more ranked fighters.

Quote:
and He could keep coming and keep throwing bombs into Frazier and break his will. That's what Rocky did. He broke people wills and then broke their jaws.
That's actually the same thing Frazier did. Frazier was the more accurate, faster and stronger man. There was also no quit in him. There was no quit in him OR Marciano. Neither man's will is being broken here.

Quote:
Ali stylistically is a horrible match up for Rocky, but if post draft dodge Ali did that rope a dope strategy against Rocky he might have been killed. Depends which Ali fought really.
He tried that very strategy against Frazier, it didn't work then either, in fact he took a hellacious beating in doing so and then abandoned it.

Quote:
Mind you I'm not saying Frazier wasn't a strong willed fighter either. But I feel stylistically at some point Frazier wouldn't be able to handle Rock's pressure. Very few guys could. They over thought and Rocky was still coming with instinct as well as intelligence.
Very few guys should have. His top-level competition was very limited, and he still nearly lost the decision to Roland La Starza.

Let's look at the Moore fight. Yes Rocky won that one, but look at when he has Moore absolutely exhausted and against the ropes. He has to throw so many shots before he actually manages to land good enough punches to take him out. Moore's chin is worse than Fraziers, and at that point in his career and that fight especially, worse head movement.

I would also add that I think Marciano, as the smaller and weaker man, would be getting pushed back by Frazier. How would Marciano deal with his pressure?