View Single Post
Old 11-13-2012, 09:07 PM
pacmanis1
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 8 pacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond reputepacmanis1 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,048,870.05
Thanks for joining the discussion in my thread about GF's and boxing, its nice to hear everyones experiences with being a fan of the sport!!! - Atreyu Khalil No Message - sugarsmosley 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cutthroat View Post
Do you honestly believe the best America can produce is Chris Arreola and Chambers? Can you not see the quality of fighters going down?

The HW division has been declining for some time now, the NFL/NBA weren't nearly as popular as they were back in the 70s. Especially collegiately! A big factor is TVs becoming more affordable, the civil rights movement, etc.

Just look at the average salaries per year:
NBA:
1970-$20,000
1980-$90,000
1985-$300,000
1990-$860,000
2000-$4,000,000
2012-$5.15 mill

The same thing with the NFL, it's practically the same thing except they earn a bit less than NBA players, they both sky rocketed at around the same time.

College isn't free in America, we must pay A LOT of money to attend a university, we can get things like Sports scholarships to pay partially or all of our education though.

"The cost for one year of tuition and fees varies widely among colleges. According to the College Board, the average cost of tuition and fees for the 20112012 school year was $28,500 at private colleges, $8,244 for state residents at public colleges, and $20,770 for out-of-state residents attending public universities."

You're 18 years old straight out of school, do you have that kind of money?
I can't help but notice the meteoric rise in pay for NBA players seems to coincide with they heyday of Jordan. Also I totally agree with with whole college thing. Even if a kid doesn't make it to the NBA or NFL they can at least get a free college education. Also back in the 70's you could have a HS diploma and get a job manufacturing and raise a family on it. The whole job landscape has changed too. Even with people with degrees you see two working parents. To be perfectly honest if I had an athletic kid I'd push them towards any sport that at least has a collegiate level over boxing, but then again I would never want my son to box, it's a dangerous sport that I love and admire, but I don't think I could watch my little boy get punched. Perhaps this shows another aspect of the sport, parents are too overprotective and worried about their special little kids to let them get into boxing.