View Single Post
Old 11-10-2012, 04:06 PM
El Jesus
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 38 El Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond reputeEl Jesus has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,500,012.68
Just for being a cool guy. That's all. - BennyST 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silencers View Post
I actually see that in quite a lot of fighters nowadays, especially the younger ones that are coming up, that shoulder roll defense isn't for everybody, you need some really good natural defensive instincts to make it work. So yeah, I've seen more than once where younger fighters, whether they are emulating Mayeather or not, get tagged and hurt while trying to work that shoulder roll defense.

I think what's happening now with the shoulder roll defense that Mayweather uses so well is similar to what happened when Roy Jones was at the top. I remember quite a lot of younger fighters back then trying to be like Roy Jones, throwing lead left hooks and right hands while keeping their hands low. A lot of them learned the hard way that they weren't Roy Jones.

What's a little weird about Alvarado was that earlier in his career I remember him keeping both hands up on the inside and ripping away with his shots, whereas he's tried to roll the shoulder as a defensive move on the inside in his more recent fights.
the roy jones impersonations in the gym were all the rage in the 90s and alot of people paid dearly when they found that they were nowhere near as quick nor had the fighting instincts to pull it off.

the fact is, using the shoulder roll takes defensive instincts that are very difficult to teach and you need the instincts to anticipate, take a look at Vargas vs Castillejo to see how terrible it can look when used by someone who is a bad fit for it. (silencers im sure you remember that one, that was the fight that told me fernando was finished as a top tier fighter)
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<