View Single Post
Old 11-01-2012, 05:24 PM
Japanese Boxing
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 5 Japanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond reputeJapanese Boxing has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 945,029,046.43
deliciousness - tongue me Thanks!!! - DempseyRollin well deserved - HaglerSteelChin 
Troop and Military Support - Amber Alert - Bladder Cancer - Endometriosis - Equality - Liver Cancer - Liver Disease - Missing Children - POW/MIA - Spina Bifida - Suicide - tongue me 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuauhtémoc1520 View Post
Actually it's the opposite, throwing with the palm face down makes it less of a slap, throwing with the palm facing yourself can seem like a slap or become a slap because fighters tend to "open" the hook causing a slap with it.

Most old school coaches teach palm down when in close on the hook. As the hook becomes longer then the palm starts facing you and the thumb comes up.

Here is boxing coach Kenny Weldon explaining it, he's an EXCELLENT coach and very well respected. He teaches proper boxing the way it should be taught. Very few are doing it like he is.

He even talks about how you come palm up when throwing the left hook to the body which is the way they teach it in Mexico and they know a little something about throwing left hooks in Mexico... Because it's almost like an uppercut to the liver, that's where you want to land that shot. Most coaches teach hitting to the kidney almost.

He also talks about weight distribution which is the most important thing in generating power on the hook, another thing most trainers don't teach. I'm surprised how we have gone to the fancy and flashy things in boxing and very few are teaching the proper and fundamental things in boxing like Kenny Weldon.
He's right when it's on the INSIDE you can do the palm down hook. I have a trainer who most would consider old school I suppose and I see a lot similarities in them rofl. When we're talking just punches, I usually assume we are talking from a distance, or after a 1-2 in most situations :P

In the Freddie Roach video he says setting it up after a 1-2. Most guys will miss if they don't step in on the hook. That doesn't mean you step in with every hook you have but if you're hitting the bag and going reps you'd step in and do palm down. I wouldn't go palm down without the step in. My left hook is my bread n butter. Roach is just on the bag, and its a basic instructional.

Last edited by Japanese Boxing; 11-01-2012 at 05:29 PM.