View Single Post
Old 10-26-2012, 07:53 AM
B-Bomber
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 3 B-Bomber is just really niceB-Bomber is just really niceB-Bomber is just really niceB-Bomber is just really niceB-Bomber is just really nice
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 22,804.58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyshenko Team View Post
I like how 99% of people just agree with the TS, just because they have nothing to say))

we can argue as much as we want, but give me a brake man. How many times you seen "WR" or "OR" in London this year? almsot at any other competition. Runners from Jamaica along made me happy watching Olympics. In any era there always will be some one who will be bit slightly better, slightly faster etc. comparing that long jumper to all sports is straight silly.

In boxing there were greats in the past who'd beat todays champs, but at the same time we have boxers who'd whoop past boxers as well.

Give it another 100 years, once 3rd world countries will have opportunities to compete in all sports the picture will change again.

So I disagree with your post ts, Today's athletes ARE better and will be better with science developing etc
Today's athletes are indeed better, but we were debating about boxers.
There are qualities that cannot be replaced by physical strength or speed.
Boxers need dedication, hunger, an iron will.

To quote the great Cus D'Amato

"When two men are fighting, what makes you’re watching is more a contest of wills than of skills, with the stronger will usually overcoming skill. The skill will prevail only when it is so superior to the other man’s skill that the will is not tested….
As times as you see a fellow get tired in the course of a fight, note that he gets tired when pressure builds up, after he gets hurt or he’s been in some kind of doubtful situation, not being able to control the situation. That’s when he starts getting tired. That’s why when two good fighters get to fight, they’re head to head, so to speak, they won’t give an inch and they’re using all their skills and ability, until maybe about the seventh or eight or ninth round, one fighter start to visibly weaken. It only means he’s reached a point where he no longer can stand the pressure. He’s now become dominated, because when two people fight it’s very much like two armies. They seek to impose their will on one another.”

These qualities , or better the lack of thereof, are what makes modern fighters generally inferior, in my opinion.
Less hunger, less will to fight, less determination to fight.
Less comprehension of what it takes to be a boxer at high level.