View Single Post
Old 10-24-2012, 05:41 AM
Welsh Jon
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 5 Welsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond reputeWelsh Jon has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 5,000,185,316.79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cardinal Buck View Post
It's simplistic to say that boxing is strictly technical. And boxers today vary in how much they rely on athleticism vs skill. Lastly, it's a stretch to dig up an example or two supporting your claim and come to a conclusion. Football is as technical as any sport and players are better today.
Yes of course it's a stretch. But so many people simply say that athletes of the past were in a different league from athletes of today. I am just saying that is not always true. And I believe it is not true of boxing.

I think it is a far bigger stretch to say that boxers of the past couldn't beat todays boxers based on the fact that American footballers of today are apparently far superior to their counterparts from the past, (I say apparently cos I know very little about the sport, I'm Welsh, I watch rugby not American football) or that this generation of sprinters continue to smash the records of the previous generation.

I also didn't say boxing was purely technical. But it is a lot more complex than simply the strongest or quickest boxer always wins.
Advertisements
>>>TO REMOVE THESE ADS, PLEASE REGISTER HERE FOR FREE<<<