View Single Post
Old 10-05-2012, 06:40 PM
LA_2_Vegas
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 14 LA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond reputeLA_2_Vegas has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,000,501,360,597.24

IMO Hopkins, in the Garden, as the first sporting event to take place in NYC after 9/11 puts that fight on a different level than Floyd's victory, which was also great. If boxing was a bigger sport, or more people liked B-Hop, this would be one of the biggest feel good fight moments for a boxer EVER.

Fight was postponed, training camps were interrupted, nobody really knew if the fight was even going to happen, etc. There were plenty of distractions in that fight, too. On top of that, Tito is a better fighter than Corrales, no disrespect. I understand the weight/style issue, but when fighters of that caliber agree to fight, I don't give a **** about it.

Hopkins' legend took off after that and hasn't looked back since - it was like the beginning of his 2nd career and allowed him to cash in on the years before when he rightly or wrongly felt marginalized by boxing politics and was trying to buck the system.

As a purist, even though I rooted wholeheartedly for Tito, I am glad boxing kinda took center stage that night and that I got to see that type of performance from B-hop.

sidenote: Floyd is/was a prodigy, nothing he does shocks me because he is capable of anything - sometimes I feel like he's underachieved, but that's only because of the expectation his talent brings.

Last edited by LA_2_Vegas; 10-05-2012 at 06:44 PM.