View Single Post
Old 08-27-2012, 06:03 PM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,078,365.37
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by res View Post
Those guys would have to be in more than just survive mode though, that's the problem. What fighters from that era do you think were likely to accomplish this? Personally, I have trouble seeing anyone from that era but Ali getting this done. Foreman in taking this more patient, hesitant approach may have been trying to fix something that was only broken as far as Ali was concerned, and even he wasn't anxious for a rematch to try and do it again.

I grant you, there aren't many heavyweights in history, let alone the 70s who would survive the Foreman who met Frazier or Norton.

He would always be at risk of losing to technicians with half decent chins, if he had kept his pre Ali gameplan. 1973 Foreman might have buldozed 1977 Jimmy Young.....but I'm not too sure. The shots Young took in round seven were sickening, yet he survived!

I think Larry Holmes had a decent enough chin and enough slippery skills to have a good chance at beating prime Foreman.

Historically Sonny Liston would have a good chance. Much better at pacing than George....and pretty good whiskers at his best too.