View Single Post
Old 08-03-2012, 12:09 PM
them_apples
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 20 them_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond reputethem_apples has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 6,449,081,570.32
Total Points: 6,650,211,959.77
For making sense -- a rarity on BoxingScene. - S a m u r a i You make sense. Cheers, bro! - FightFreak 
Send a message via MSN to them_apples

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarj View Post
The very best larger heavyweights have been athletic though. Lewis, Bowe and Wlad at their very best were excellent technicians with good footwork and quick hands. Dare I say an in shape Buster Douglas too.

Prior to 1990 I can't think of too many 6'5+, 240Lbs+ guys in heavyweight history with the athleticism of these examples.

Don't get me wrong, much as I think Lewis, Bowe etc would give prime Ali problems.....I wouldn't expect them to beat him. But 50-100 years from now we might have 300Lb+ 7 foot odd heavyweights with 90+ inches of reach and a fair modicum of athleticism. When/if will we have to conceed that a 212Lb Ali might not be able to compete simply due to size differential? As good as Ray Robinson was, he wasn't going to be beating heavyweights. Size does have to play a part eventually.....and it would with Ali. Granted, Ali would decimate Valuev.....but in a few years guys of that size and bigger might well have quick hands and feet and much better workrate.

The days of the large heavyweight being slow, plodding and uncoordinated may be coming to an end. The likes of the Jess Willard, Primo Carnera, Abe Simon stereotypes may end up firmly in the past.
well they are all slow and plodding right now so I guess we have a long ways to go. David Haye has a bit of speed but he's a blown up cruiser or a smaller HW who lifted weights, Wlad and Vitali are slow in my book - although a bit more athletic than typical men their size.