View Single Post
Old 06-06-2012, 07:30 AM
Sugarj
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 19 Sugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond reputeSugarj has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 10,030,077,605.89
For being a cool poster - -IronMike- beer for a good poster - led Top Poster. - Barnburner Great info in the running thread. - Barnburner for the excellent race time (Its new running shoes!) - The Surgeon 
for invaluable advice in the training forum - jas 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allucard View Post
I think Floyd has a better resume than say Roy Jones. Again direct comparison is useless and the reason old timers still stand as the best there was. It's unfair if you think about it. Fighters just can't fight as often and with all the things we know about brain damage there is no way things are going back in those regards. I didn't even mentioned the marketing every big fight requires and that also takes time. But what i can honestly tell you is Floyd is the best I've seen fighting. The most complete, the best technique. I think he's better than hearns, duran and leonard and I saw all those guys fighting. All great, all more incomplete than Floyd is. Apart from a 1 punch KO power at these higher weights, Floyd has it all.

I only mentioned Roy Jones in respect of talent, not resume.....not that Roy Jones's resume is in any way poor.

I rate Mayweather as one of the best I've ever seen too. But I don't think he is quite as fast or as good at combination punching as Roy Jones, Meldrick Taylor, Ray Robinson or Ray Leonard. I'm not convinced that he was/is as defensively sound as prime Whitaker and he has never shown workrate like prime Duran. But yes, Floyd is pretty complete package.

I personally would have liked to have seen him matched with a much taller, rangy fighter in their prime. I don't think that he would fare too well with prime welterweight Hearns over 12 rounds. Matches with prime Vernon Forrest or prime Paul Williams might have been more interesting than you'd expect.

The most talented fighter with the best skill set that I've ever seen is Roy Jones jnr 1994-2000.