View Single Post
Old 04-25-2012, 09:40 AM
Ray Corso
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 15 Ray Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond reputeRay Corso has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 11,000,067,729.79
Listen to Ray, he knows boxing - valero Knowledgable poster - Weltz Knowledgeable - Beercules invaluable to the training forum - jas 

Never said Floyd was a "ranked" middleweight I said he was at middleweight, fighting at 160+ a few bouts at 166 + 168 this was common then.
As far as Jersey Joe goes I'll consider him at 39yrs every bit as good and better as the fellows Tyson fought and stopped none of them had the Will to win, they were opponents. Tyson was told to go out and get rid of those guys because thats what they were, opponents. Other than Spinks who had talent but was over matched before he got near the ring the others were their to lose, simple as that. Rocky was a cautious fighter in the first round unless he was pressured then it was on! Patterson was a game young man who trained very hard but the facts are facts he never attained heavyweight power and all though he put punches together well he didn't have power!

jab5239: I'm not familar with Henry's name but there is a chance we've met if he was involved in boxing in the 60's up till about 1985! In Jersey I was on alot of the earliest espn Totowa Ice Palace shows taking care of "opponents" who came in without corner help. Eddie Alliano taught me corner work regarding cuts and abraisions. Later on I worked bouts at the Tropicana for Donny Elbaum but my home court was the Hartford Civic Center in Hartford Conn. Back then we were running closed circuit events with live boxing shows as the undercard to the feeds! One of the fellows I worked with to promote the USA/ABF kids was Johnny Davenport, Johnny had a gym in Jersey (can't remember where) and when he ran shows I brought my kids down to box his and he came up to mine in Hamden Conn. John was a very good trainer who cared for his kids and worked hard for them. I was more interested in the amatuers then because to me if you weren't able to compete within the top twenty in a pro division why turn pro? I handled pro fighters but I was NOT their trainer I was hired to get them in shape and work their corners, I did not develop them nor did I match them. I did however train and managed and had total control over my team. Most of whom I trained since they were 11 yrs old up till 18 years old.
I don't like boxers being abused in any way and the boxing business can be a very immoral one. I handled alot of the "meat wagon" guys and they were some of the nicest men I ever met and a few of them actually could have done well within the sport but they had to much bagage for promoters, matchmakers and managers to deal with. Theres alot of throw aways in this business! Ray.