View Single Post
Old 11-29-2011, 01:49 PM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,467,318.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marchegiano View Post
Excellent! There are a few things I wanna hit on.

1 OP was excellent. I'm not sure if you wrote that or not, but it reads really easy. I like Tommy he was a game boxer. Plus there has to be a Tommy Burns for " Is you havin' fun mistah Tommy?" to be so damn pleasing. Tommy's more a symbol of course, but hell JJ would have schooled any honkie of the era. I'm glad your here. I'm a huge fan of learning, and all too much of posts are opinions being thrown around like fact.

2 Chin- Not everyone is a fan of, or even cares about, anything that can be labled skill. Some of us are fans of traits. This is an ancient argument. For a longer period of time than not backing up wasn't proof of skill, ever, it was proof of weakness. Everything is P.O.V. I like Jeffries too, but it isn't fair to Tommy to allow Jeffries to over shadow, and certainly isn't fair to the blacks of the era. Tommy burns was a sham because Jack was around, so was Sam, and a few other choice names. But like I said Tommy's more of a symbol.

3 TBear- I'd love that mpeg.
Really cool post bro, I love your words on CHIN,,,,, I too am much more of a fan of traits than I am of skill..... because traits are BORN...... and can be cultivated,, these traits also boil down to a fighters natural personality,,,,,, Battling Nelson's name conjures up in the mind as fighter whose traits turned him into a ring monster,,,, he didn't have an impregnable chin, (it was good though),, he had an impregnable will to win, get up as many times as it took..... I wont name any names as for having a practically impregnable chin, but there is a fair number in that category........ as you said mate, chin is a trait, not a skill, but how important is it,... well as you once said about the Romans and their boxing training for making them as tough as they were legendary,,,, the ability to stay concious on an ancient battlefield does not even need mention, needless to say, you would be either dead, or far worse, captured,,,,,,,,,,, that might turn out to be rather painful....................... thanks for the excuse I needed to talk about romans,,, and Bat Nelson.