2011: What a terrible year for boxing, can it get any worse? Let's sum it up..
I'm a fan and always will be, and I try to focus on the good things, such Rios-Antillon and Kirkland's amazing comeback. But my god we've had to endure some setbacks this year in the sport of boxing. Off the top of my head:
- The biggest heavyweight fight since Tyson Lewis was a complete borefest after all that hype, quickly ending any excitement we had for the heavyweight division, Haye's pinky toe rubs it in even more.
- Mosley Pac....disappointing would be an understatement.
- The Super Six is plagued with fake (yes screw u Dirrell) and unfortunate injuries and drop outs, quite an anti-climax because it was a great initiative (we still get a good fight though, but doesn't feel that much like a true finale)
- Abner Mares vs Joseph Agbeko ruins the end of another great tournament with the dirtiest fighting and ****test official we've seen in a LONG time. A disgraceful fight.
- Lara gets robbed hardcore against Paul Williams, just wow...
- Mathyssee gets robbed against the hometown hero Devon Alexander
- Mayweather Ortiz ends in a suckerpunch, robbing the fans of a great fight. Ortiz acted like an idiot, Mayweather showed his sportsmanship. Great to see after his 'vacation'.
- Marquez shocks the world and controls Pacquiao for 12 rounds, but the decision goes to Manny. Everybody suddenly changes their opinion, which I find quite disturbing. Suddenly the mega-fight is not worth seeing, which is RIDICULOUS. It's fascinating how everybody jumped ship from Manny's balls to Floyd's. All that while ****ting on Marquez pre-fight, not giving this legend any respect. Not that Pac-May would get signed anyway...
- Testing, PED's, *******s, *****'s, Vacations, Talk to my promoter, I'm not not thinking about boxing........I've rarely seen such a sad state of affairs and I'm not picking sides. The fans are making it even worse.
- Fake belts being thrown around like candy. Chavez Jr, Canelo Alvarez, Morales....they all became 'champions'......while Marquez should actually be the FIRST mexican to get 4 belts in different divisions.
- Juan Manuel Lopez gets knocked out by Salido destroying the hopes of the super fight between him and Gamboa. Nice one!
- Bradley shamelessly ducks Khan to prevent another super fight, to determine the number 1 guy at 140.
- Hopkins vs Dawson....are you kidding me?!?!? Yes we win title fights by takedowns! Boxing was certainly on a roll after this one!
- De La Hoya checks into rehab and acts like a child on twitter, while Arum takes his sneakyness to new heights. We've got some promoters in boxing.
Now that I've summed it up, my god this was some year...did I miss anything?
and finally...we lose Joe Frazier, R.I.P. legend