View Single Post
Old 10-27-2011, 01:33 AM
King Kong
Banned

Rep Power: 0 King Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these partsKing Kong is infamous around these parts
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 25,614.08

Quote:
Originally Posted by bojangles1987 View Post
I don't care about the accuracy to real life of Raging Bull, Hollywood is always inaccurate. It's a great, great movie because it tells a damn good story in a very good way, and everyone involved does a tremendous job in their roles. You're just not topping DeNiro in that role.
I'm not so concerned with "realism" as I am with Scorsese tastelessly imposing his baggage upon LaMotta.

The more you look into how the movie came to be, the more apparent Marty's lack of sympathy/empathy with his subject becomes. And it shows up in the finished piece.

DeNiro does his thing, nails surface details, mannerisms, and lots of people (including Jake) like to see him do that, I understand. He gets too much credit, though - Cathy Moriarty's Vickie is by far the best performance in the movie, uncovering depths that only highlight the deficiency in DeNiro's portrayal of her husband.

LaMotta had a soul which just isn't captured by the film (which is visually stunning, its saving grace).

The director and his star produced the biggest misfire of their working relationship here.