View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 01:19 AM
Thread Stealer
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 31 Thread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond reputeThread Stealer has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 41,054,563.43
Most knowledgeable poster on NSB - BatTheMan Boxing Guru - DWiens421 4k posts. Keep up the great work! - danc1984 To an excellent poster - JAB5239 No Message - Old Coward 
you're the man - Dambala For being a great poster - -IronMike- 

Quote:
Originally Posted by x3_bazooka_x3 View Post
How do you guys figure that? those are just two different styles, both are skilled. yes it does take skills to be on your toes have a tight defense and play high speed chess, no doubt.

But there is also another element to the game, example Marvin Hagler, Mike Tyson, those guys, who were able to make it a dog fight and go in there for the killing, willing to take one shot to get of a equally good shot or better.

So how the hell can you guys sit back and claim that fighters with a boxers style in which they hit and dont get hit is skill, yet the other style is Not skills? I mean it takes skills to win a fight, how you win it and what skills you use to win it is just a matter of difference in styles.

But really I want to know why you claim its one demensional?
Very true, except Marvin Hagler was not a pressure fighter to me (at least not the great majority of the time). He could apply pressure when needed, mainly when he turned into a bull against Hearns, because he had to with Hearns's ability from the outside, and the fact that Tommy was most dangerous when he got distance to get full leverage on his right hand. Normally, Hagler was a boxer-puncher who used lateral movement, good legs, very economical in his movement, solid parrying and head movement.

People tend to see a pressure fighter and think the guy doesn't have skills, or see a guy who moves around a lot and think "he's a skilled boxer".

J.C. Chavez, for instance, had a lot of skill. He was top notch at cutting off the ring, which shows his footwork. He picked his shots well, mixing in combos from body to head. One of the best combo punchers ever. He had an effective defense, good at rolling with punches and slipping them. Chavez could also box on the backfoot too at times, he spent almost all of the Lockridge fight in this manner.

I think people just watch too much highlights of a young Muhammad Ali dancing around the ring, or Sugar Ray Leonard in certain fights when he danced, and think that's what skills are. Not realizing there was a *****load more to Ali and Leonard's game than that.

Last edited by Thread Stealer; 10-07-2011 at 01:21 AM.