View Single Post
Old 12-12-2005, 12:58 PM
M26
Interim Champion

Rep Power: 11 M26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond reputeM26 has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 15,502.03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Achilles
Does Marciano really hit harder? It's debatable. Dempsey KO'ed Fred Fulton, a huge 6'5" guy and a respected contender (I believe he was ranked #1 at the time) in 18 seconds. The job he did on Willard is still shocking, it seems unnatural to see a 180 lb fighter send a 250 lb man staggering around the ring like a ragdoll.

In terms of punching power, Dempsey is top ten all time material. I think Marciano may be as well, but you are selling Dempsey's punch short.

Bodypunching and inside fighting go to Dempsey. He had a method to his bodypunching, he threw short shovel hooks and uppercuts in close quarters. He threw them in combinations. You can see this in the Gibbons fight. Marciano on the other hand, a bit like Tyson, needed some space for his punches. He couldn't knock a guy out with 6" punches like Dempsey did.

The only qualities I give to Marciano for certain are stamina and chin. Footwork, punching technique, natural reflexes, handspeed all go to Dempsey.

Marciano always has a chance with "Suzie Q", but I think Dempsey stops him in the middle rounds, or perhaps even with an early assault.
I see your argument. Jack Dempsey was the better boxer and was also faster.

How ever, I can't help but to think that if you run after Rocky Marciano, you'r gonna take some shots in return. And Dempsey did not have the chin to stand up to those thundering shots in my opinion. Further, I still say Marciano had the harder punch. Dempsey had alot of power, sure, but he also hurt his foes because of his technique and speed (sort of like a prime Tyson). Marciano just needed one good, clean punch and it would be all over.

When asked about Marcianos punching power, Dempsey was quoted saying that Marciano definitely had the harder punch. To prove this he pointed to the fact that Marciano had power to knock you out with one single punch, while Dempsey more often than not needed several knock downs to end a fight.

Of course, Dempsey could very well just be saying this to be polite... But you never know.

Jack Dempsey would take control of this fight and give Marciano a good whuppin' early on. He would not be able to stop Marciano though, and sooner or later "The Rock" connects with a few bombs and Dempsey would go down for keeps.

Rocky Marciano by ko6.