View Single Post
Old 12-11-2005, 03:55 AM
TuPrincipe
Manny_P's Hoe

Rep Power: 21 TuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond reputeTuPrincipe has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 24,204.00

Quote:
Originally Posted by cple
My previous response to a similiar thread:

I have always maintained that Dempsey was a bad matchup for Marciano. Though Rocky does have the edge in one-punch power and possesses a slightly better chin, Dempsey has the advantage in handspeed and has a much more exspansive arsenal of punches. I think Dempsey would land two punches to every one Marciano lands. Add in the fact that Rocky was somewhat of a slow starter and Dempsey was one of the quickest and you have a tough day in the office for Rocky. I think Dempsey's initial onslaught would take a lot out of Marciano, leaving him too hurt to stage a comeback. Rocky definately has his moments, but Dempsey stops him on cuts late in the fight.
Fair point.

Dempsey reminded me of Mike Tyson in terms of pure adrenaline and agression. Can't take anything away from his fighting though. A purveyour of pain, unstoppable in his prime. How the hell could you knock Dempsey? His rise to the top was meteoric. The guy had every tool a heavyweight champion could ask for: heart, handspeed, chin, power, quick reflexes, stamina and underated boxing skills. The old guys like Ray Arcel and Lou Duval all claim he was the greatest heavyweight of all time. Maybe Ali or Louis could beat him, but he was nothing short of greatness.
Made the mold that Liston & Tyson would follow.

He would beat most heavyweights of the past and all heavyweights of the 90's. It's just too bad he partied his career away.

Last edited by TuPrincipe; 12-11-2005 at 03:58 AM.