View Single Post
Old 08-14-2011, 03:47 PM
Mugwump
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 Mugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond reputeMugwump has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 2,033,619.40

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGoorty View Post
Best post I've read in weeks, it's obvious you are back in full swing Marchegiano. You write with skill and you know what you are talking about, ancient history is my favourite subject. Even Roman nobility were as tough as nails, very few men in history were tougher than men of the calibre of Gaius Julius Caesar, Gaius Marius, Quintus Sertorius, Lucius Cornelius Sulla and Marcus Porcius cato (that Cato who hated Caesar) and Lucullus. Men of iron, Caesar was a little fellow, about a Featherweight, in a bare hands fight to the death he'd KILL todays Welterweights,
Caesar was unquestionably a great general (second only to Alexander the Great, IMO) - but I don't see any evidence to suggest he was an extraordinarily gifted fighter. Ditto the rest (a ragtag bunch of tyrants, criminals and freebooters - with the possible exception of Cato). Let's not forget that the documentary evidence surrounding these characters is dubious to say the least. Historians such as Pliny, Tacitus and Suetonius (especially) were forever sexing up the narrative. I recently read Caesar's own account of his campaign against the Gauls and it was the most obvious piece of propaganda designed to gain him popularity amongst the senate.

Big claims require big evidence.