View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 06:08 AM
McGoorty
Undisputed Champion

Rep Power: 10 McGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond reputeMcGoorty has a reputation beyond repute
Bank: 0.00
Total Points: 1,050,467,616.34
To a pal who I also respect a lot! - Terry A Old timer expert with great emoticon use. - Barnburner missed you around - McGoorty Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah Cheers for the green. I'm a bit of a hothead and think I may have negged you for some trifling matter on another thread, which I now regret, so this is just an apology and hope there are no hard feelings. - It's Ovah 
Top poster - Toney616 No Message - rorymac It's your honorary Warriors fan badge..wear it with pride! KA MATE!!!! - Jeff Da Maori Good thread - rorymac cheers!  eat your fish!  tasty and healthy! - uglypug 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BattlingNelson View Post
I think your are mixing a couple of books. The Gunner is talking about how he went 20 rounds to a decision over Jess Willard which seemed odd to him because he was such a terrific hitter. He then goes out on the tangent and talks about how he cannot understand how the fighters of today can KO somebody with those heavy gloves.
It is a section in a book called the Memoirs of Gunboat Smith or something similar, it is one of the great reads in all boxing literature, he takes you through his world. From what I know of him was that he said himself that he was average in many areas of the game, but he was tough and one of the all-time hitters, I think he could have knocked out many with any type of glove. I'll have to go back and read it again, I'll post again on him then,....... PS, that film of Robbo you have there, proves his greatness.