No announcement yet.

Tune up fights...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tune up fights...

What happened to tune-up fights? Since when did they become a bad thing? Seems to me like certain fighters that take tune ups are looked upon as taking shallow opposition but to me I think its one of the smartest things a boxer even a World Champ can do. Reason being, we all know styles make fights so whats the harm in taking a 10rd fight with a fighter of similiar characteristics but of less caliber (journeymen type) then your future "big time" opponent?

For instance, people want to give Pacquiao's camp a hard time for throwing Humberto Sotos name out as a possible tune up for Marquez but I think its really smart, Soto is the poor mans version of Marquez and "should" really help Pac with his ability to understand a "less dangerous" counter puncher.

Marquez's camp also got a hard time before the Pac IV fight because he wanted Gesta but again it made sense to fight the B level Pac wannabe to help with timing... Your thoughts......

What's funny is that Donaire would have gotten a lot less criticism if he had only fought Mathebula and Nishioka this year instead of the four times. It's kind of ridiculous. (and I wouldn't necessarily call Vasquez and Arce tuneups)

Anyway, the thing with the tuneups is that most fighters only fight twice a year. The point of a tuneup is to sharpen up your skills right before a bigger fight comes a long. If you fight a bum and then fight six months later against a regular opponent, that bum does not count as a tuneup because whatever benefits you'd get from that tuneup would have disappeared by then. It's too long of a period between fights. You'd be out of shape again by the time your next training camp starts.

I wouldn't call Pacquiao's next fight (if it's against someone like Sotto) a tuneup. It would be a confidence builder. It's not a tuneup because he'll likely fight much later in the year instead of shortly right after.
    Last edited by DoktorSleepless; 01-12-2013, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Pacquiao needs a tune up. He just got brutally knocked out. Marquez needs to defend his JWW belt against a suitable challenger.

Comment

Yea you very rarely see the top guys have tune ups anymore...to gready?? to risky??

Comment

I don't like tune ups but Bob Arum should make Pac vs Bradley 2. I mean Bradley has no punching power plus their was a lot of drama in their first fight. Marquez can fight Vargas on the undercard.

Comment

all marquez does is fight tune ups against bums when he aint fighting pacquiao, if he doesnt wanna take risky fights between pac then time to retire. And pac better not fight soto, soto is smaller, hes a bum and coming off a brutal loss to matthysse, he should fight matthysse

Comment

Originally posted by DoktorSleepless View Post
              What's funny is that Donaire would have gotten a lot less criticism if he had only fought Mathebula and Nishioka this year instead of the four times. It's kind of ridiculous. (and I wouldn't necessarily call Vasquez and Arce tuneups)

Anyway, the thing with the tuneups is that most fighters only fight twice a year. The point of a tuneup is to sharpen up your skills right before a bigger fight comes a long. If you fight a bum and then fight six months later against a regular opponent, that bum does not count as a tuneup because whatever benefits you'd get from that tuneup would have disappeared by then. It's too long of a period between fights. You'd be out of shape again by the time your next training camp starts.

I wouldn't call Pacquiao's next fight (if it's against someone like Sotto) a tuneup. It would be a confidence builder. It's not a tuneup because he'll likely fight much later in the year instead of shortly right after.

Solid Post. .......................

Comment

Working...
              X