No announcement yet.

Breath Control when punching

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Breath Control when punching

You guys inhale or exhale when punching?

I've been taught to exhale when punching, that if you get caught with a body shot after your punch there's at least no breath to get knocked out of you.

Comment

Originally posted by Foolish.Dead View Post
      I've been taught to exhale when punching, that if you get caught with a body shot after your punch there's at least no breath to get knocked out of you.
      i do the same as this guy, though countless times iv been hit to the liver whilst breathing in and it hasnt been good

Comment

always exhale. you generate more power when exhaling, plus its easier to put out a good coordinated punch.

Comment

Exhale when punching.

In the past, I've always kept my mouth shut while sparring, and ONLY use my nose to breathe, including exhaling.

Then I ran into Alex Ariza's article on how he has Pacquiao breathe during his fights/sparring.

http://www.mp8.ph/blog/manny-pacquia...tains-stamina/

Placebo effect or not, I was less tired during heated exchanges using this method.

One thing I've always wondered about; is breathing while throwing multiple punches, like a 4 punch combo...

Should you exhale 4 times (after each punch)?

Or should you exhale/inhale in between every punch during a combo?
          For example:
          (Jab, [exhale, then inhale], right straight, [exhale then inhale], left hook [exhale, then inhale], right straight [exhale, then inhale]

I've never tried it, but it looks like it SHOULD provide better stamina by having more intervals of inhaling. It would seem really difficult to get used to this. Anyone have experience with this?
          Last edited by boxingsmash69; 08-14-2011, 01:53 AM.

Comment

On combinations exhale on each punch, but don't inhale between each punch. Even on a single punch you don't want to let out all of your lung's air or if you get countered into the midsection... let's just say you'll be sucking for air.

So on a combination, same thing. You don't let out all of your air on each punch, of after the combination either. There should always be a little left.

Comment

Inhale on the slip/weave after the punch/combination.

Comment

Originally posted by Klemman View Post
                On combinations exhale on each punch, but don't inhale between each punch. Even on a single punch you don't want to let out all of your lung's air or if you get countered into the midsection... let's just say you'll be sucking for air.

So on a combination, same thing. You don't let out all of your air on each punch, of after the combination either. There should always be a little left.
                Sounds like the best thing to do, thanks for that.

I find myself exhaling TOO hard at times, sapping my lungs, lol.

Comment

Working...
                X