No announcement yet.

Calzaghe's reign underrated

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Calzaghe's reign underrated

All I hear on here is "he should have fought Ottke..." "he should have cum to tha states pwn!" etc.. But lets have a look at all the champions during Calzaghe's WBO reign.

SMW Champs by way of Boxrec:

WBC

Robin Reid - Beaten by Calzaghe

Malinga - Beaten by Woodhall who Calzaghe beat.

Woodhall - Beaten by Calzaghe

Lucas - Beaten by Kessler who Calzaghe beat

Beyer - Beaten by Kessler who Calzaghe beat, drew with Bika (many people had Bika ahead at the time) who Calzaghe beat,

Sanavia - Beaten by Beyer who was beaten by a guy Calzaghe beat.

IBF

Brewer - Beaten by Calzaghe.

Sven Ottke - CONTROVERSY. Should have lost one of the SD's to Brewer, should have lost to Mitchell and potentially should have lost to Reid.. also very close against David Starie. In my view and the view of many, Ottke lost at least 2 of the above 5 fights. If not 3-5 of them. All the fighters mentioned? Beaten by Calzaghe convincingly, even Robin Reid who got a whack job SD (go review the fight, Calzaghe had that fight won comfortably)

Lacy - beaten by Calzaghe

Berrio - Beaten by Poras who was beaten by Kessler who Calzaghe beat

Lucian Bute - Undefeated but won't face Kessler.

WBA

Liles - Beaten by Mitchell who Calzaghe beat, also pulled out against Calzaghe

Mitchell - Beaten by Calzaghe

Girad - Drew with Mitchell who Calzaghe beat, refused rematch with Siaca and was stripped of title.

Mundine - beaten by Kessler who Calzaghe beat

Siaca - Beaten by Kessler who Calzaghe beat

Sven Ottke - see above

Kessler - beaten by Calzaghe.

So, Sven Ottke, Girad and Bute remain the only guys who haven't either been beaten by Calzaghe or beaten by a guy Calzaghe beat.

Bute is the only one of that trio who doesn't have controversy surrounding him, although he's refusing a match with Kessler.

Can any other champion of this era show such a dominance over their division by having a majority of ex champions either be beat by him or beaten by someone he beat?

Now you're starting to see why Calzaghe is considered to have a great career by those that know something.

Good post Ricky. No doubt Joe has had one hell of a career and dominated the **** out of SMW. I agree that he does not get the credit he deserves.

Comment

Everyone knows Ottke is a clown. I would love to see him get sparked by Kessler.

I think the Brewer, Mitchell and Sheika victories never get anywhere near the credit they deserve.

Nobody stays undefeated that long (baring fixed Ottke fights) for no reason.

My main criticism would be we all knew he was SMW king, the americans finally accepted it after Lacy, but he should have looked to fight outside of his weight earlier. But then who can blame him for making his money dominating a not great division?

Comment

On the Boxingscene forums, the boxrec warriors reign supreme. To those who actually watch the fights and use boxrec for background (not to tell us the story), don't lose heart. A lot of these kids will either stop watching boxing when their favorite fighter loses or actually start watching the old stuff they knew nothing about and recant their opinions.

Comment

Apply the he beat then I beat him theory to Mayweather and Joe look likes he beat camel herders , the truth is the division is weak and Joe ducked the biggest names untill now when they are badly over the hill , his career has been well chosen by Warren to stay unbeaten fighting nobodys and washed up name fighters , Joe is a good fighter not a great fighter , its about who you beat and at what stage you beat them , Warren picks the stage very carefully .

Comment

I was bored last week.

I left work early to get to the local elementary school while it was still in session. I beat the living tar out of probably... 35 4th graders. I'm the most dominant 4th grade bully of all time.

inbeforecommentsaboutinellectuallevel

Comment

LOL such a sad thread trying to give more credit to Joe than deserved. I will laugh so hard if Roy wins.

Comment

if he gets beat by a shot roy, that only proves how overrated joe is. I'm sure his fans will make a ridiculous amount of excuses if that does happen.

Oh, roy wasn't shot... My ass. thats what will be hearing if Calzaghe loses

Comment

Joe is defintely underrated but its by his own doing, The American Boxing Fans, make up 90 % of what mother****ers think... And many of us think he is garbage and hasnt really fought anyone of consequence except a Washedup,Young and Old fighter outta his 40+ fights! ANyway he is underrated but rightfully so1

Comment

Originally posted by GodOfWarII View Post
                    if he gets beat by a shot roy, that only proves how overrated joe is. I'm sure his fans will make a ridiculous amount of excuses if that does happen.

Oh, roy wasn't shot... My ass. thats what will be hearing if Calzaghe loses
                    Cotto this weeks flavor?

Comment

Working...
                    X