No announcement yet.

Barney Ross a great?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barney Ross a great?

I've read a bit about his life and I was wondering if he was considered a great?

Definitely an all time great, I'd go as far as saying in the top 20-30 of all time.
    You read his autobiography? ''No man stands alone''

Comment

Originally posted by Rossman View Post
      I've read a bit about his life and I was wondering if he was considered a great?

Top 30 or 40 all time great, easily. There was just an Ringside episode of his trilogy with Jimmy McLarnin on ESPN classic. Check out the book "Barney Ross" by Douglas Century. An excellent book about a legend who in my opinion his life story would make a great movie. Ranked 5th at welter and 8th at lightweight all time by the International boxing research organization.

Comment

Of course he is, he was regarded as great by his contemporaries.... and they should know know. In fact their are very many ATG's..... some eras alone have over 30 Great fighters, The WW, LW and FW and below had so many... In the 30's Barney Ross was rated high among the other ATG's of that time...... Absolutely an ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Top 30 or 40 all time great, easily. There was just an Ringside episode of his trilogy with Jimmy McLarnin on ESPN classic. Check out the book "Barney Ross" by Douglas Century. An excellent book about a legend who in my opinion his life story would make a great movie. Ranked 5th at welter and 8th at lightweight all time by the International boxing research organization.

I agree, his life story is amazing & would make a truly excellent film. In fact providing how well it was acted and such I believe it could possibly turn out to be one of the greatest boxing films ever made. I know for a fact I'd love to see it, I think we might be onto something here

Comment

Man, absolutely. A true ATG.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post
              It wasn't based on that book, but that was a movie made about Barney Ross many years ago. It was called "Monkey on My Back". While it showed some of his career, the main focus was on his recovery from being a morphine addict after a WWII injury.

In another trivia note, Ross was close friends with Jack Ruby, the man who murdered Lee Harvey Oswald on national TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott9945 View Post
                It wasn't based on that book, but that was a movie made about Barney Ross many years ago. It was called "Monkey on My Back". While it showed some of his career, the main focus was on his recovery from being a morphine addict after a WWII injury.

In another trivia note, Ross was close friends with Jack Ruby, the man who murdered Lee Harvey Oswald on national TV.
                Interesting. I Wonder if Ross knew the real story behind that.

Comment

Originally posted by joseph5620 View Post
                  Interesting. I Wonder if Ross knew the real story behind that.
                  Hmmmmmmm I wonder....................... was Barney the other guy.... you know, on the grassy knoll ???

Comment

with a bullet

Comment

Working...
                    X