Gavin Rees fighting M'Baye?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gavin Rees fighting M'Baye?

this is a weird one...

Gavin Rees as been lined up to fight Mbaye on the May sportsnetwork show. Now the BBC have reported this as being for the WBA title but as far as i'm aware Rees is not in the WBA top 15 and is probably not even in their top 40 considering he hasn't fought a 12 rounder in over 6 years.

he may have an impressive looking undefeated record but since he won the WBO intercontintental at a lower weight in 2001 he's been fighting journeymen.

i reckon this has been misreported and its a non-title fight. warren probably wants to give mbaye a little more exposure before his next defence which could happen on the July show.

if rees pulls off a shock win, warren has another lightwelterweight to hype up and eventually get a proper title shot, whereas mbaye will still be the wba champ.

if mbaye wins, well doesn't matter cos rees has done **** all recently and isn't a huge asset for warren.

Originally posted by rooq View Post
    this is a weird one...

Gavin Rees as been lined up to fight Mbaye on the May sportsnetwork show. Now the BBC have reported this as being for the WBA title but as far as i'm aware Rees is not in the WBA top 15 and is probably not even in their top 40 considering he hasn't fought a 12 rounder in over 6 years.

he may have an impressive looking undefeated record but since he won the WBO intercontintental at a lower weight in 2001 he's been fighting journeymen.

i reckon this has been misreported and its a non-title fight. warren probably wants to give mbaye a little more exposure before his next defence which could happen on the July show.

if rees pulls off a shock win, warren has another lightwelterweight to hype up and eventually get a proper title shot, whereas mbaye will still be the wba champ.

if mbaye wins, well doesn't matter cos rees has done **** all recently and isn't a huge asset for warren.
    Yeah I see what you mean but I think it might be for the belt. I hope so, anyway. I wish this was on the July show instead of the May one because I'm gonna go to the July show! I like Rees, he's a good fighter yet to fulfil his potential. Hopefully that'll start against M'baye

Comment

When i say this fight being mentioned I thought it was a joke, but then I realised it would be promoted by Warren. He has no intention of putting on credible fights so this fights looks like it might happen. Ree's has never impressed me and if he takes this fight he will be on the end of a bad beating.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
        When i say this fight being mentioned I thought it was a joke, but then I realised it would be promoted by Warren. He has no intention of putting on credible fights so this fights looks like it might happen. Ree's has never impressed me and if he takes this fight he will be on the end of a bad beating.
        but do you really think warren could influence the wba to sanction such a fight? i can understand if its a non-title one though.

its a complete mismatch, but i guess if mbaye treats it as an easy fight, rees could spring a shock and an imaginary cash-till sound will chime in Warren's head.

Comment

Originally posted by rooq View Post
          but do you really think warren could influence the wba to sanction such a fight? i can understand if its a non-title one though.

its a complete mismatch, but i guess if mbaye treats it as an easy fight, rees could spring a shock and an imaginary cash-till sound will chime in Warren's head.
          Oh yeah, forgot about it being the WBA title. I just presumed it would be the WBO. Im not sure whats going on then, maybe Warren is starting to gain influence with the WBA as well.

Comment

As far as I understand it would be a title fight. Not sure if Kotelink was a mandatory but Rees is unbeaten so he may sneek under the WBA radar.

Truth is, its a mismatch of gargantuan proportions.

M'Baye isn't a killer at 140 but he's seasoned, in form and pretty slick. Rees is a face first, short arse who has never been near world class.

He does have Enzo Calzaghe's midas touch in the corner though.

Comment

Originally posted by The Monk View Post
              Oh yeah, forgot about it being the WBA title. I just presumed it would be the WBO. Im not sure whats going on then, maybe Warren is starting to gain influence with the WBA as well.
              I think Warren is trying to gain favour with the WBA, after all he put in a pretty mammoth bid for the M'Baye-Kotelnik fight and I'm sure he'll be topping up the sanctioning fees.

Comment

Working...
              X