No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: A Welcome Nightmare: Robert Helenius Adds Life

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: A Welcome Nightmare: Robert Helenius Adds Life

By Cliff Rold - It sure as hell wasn’t David Haye.

That much all can be sure of.

Eventually, almost certainly, it will be someone though.

Someone will give World Heavyweight Champion Wladimir Klitschko a run. It’s happened before in the champion’s career, it will come again. It comes for them all. Sometimes, the challenges come, and were seen coming. Other times, new forces emerge in a single night to shake the game to its core.

If Robert Helenius (15-0, 10 KO) continues to develop at the pace he’s on, he will not be the latter. Nicknamed the “Nordic Nightmare,” Helenius might just be a dream come true for fight fans that want to see Klitschko pushed.

One could take that literally to start. Helenius is not a man to be easily missed. Standing almost 6’7, and normally weighing in between 230 and 250 lbs., Helenius is a big man in the field of boxing big men. [Click Here To Read More]

didn't know about Helenius before he iced Peter
    he looks like he can give Wlad a fight
    don't think he'd win though
    but he, Valuev, and Povetkin are the only guys really left
    one of the Klits has owned everyone else already
    rather see him get a shot than Chambers again

Comment

Man, I wish "Brewster fight" Lyakhovich shows up and surprises the hell out of everyone. Lyakhovich vs. Brewster still is the best fight since Lewis vs. Vitali, up until today. Can Lyakhovich show the same determination? I really wish so, he would give Helenius the toughest fight to day and most likely win. Alas, chances of that are slim to none, he hasn't been the same since that day.

Comment

Helenius is a beast.

I'll be rooting for Lyakhovich, but I think Helenius will win by KO.

Comment

Originally posted by !!Captain View Post
          Man, I wish "Brewster fight" Lyakhovich shows up and surprises the hell out of everyone. Lyakhovich vs. Brewster still is the best fight since Lewis vs. Vitali, up until today. Can Lyakhovich show the same determination? I really wish so, he would give Helenius the toughest fight to day and most likely win. Alas, chances of that are slim to none, he hasn't been the same since that day.
          "Brewster fight" Lyakhovich would beat Helenius.

Comment

Helenius isn't ready for a Klit

if he's not rushed into a title fight and keeps on fighting good opposition like it has been the case, he could become a threat, a real one, something that has been missing in HW boxing like the article highlights

After Liakhovich, I'd like to see him fight another young contender, but I doubt they will line up to fight Helenius

Comment

Originally posted by Jack Napier View Post
              didn't know about Helenius before he iced Peter
              he looks like he can give Wlad a fight
              don't think he'd win though
              but he, Valuev, and Povetkin are the only guys really left
              one of the Klits has owned everyone else already
              rather see him get a shot than Chambers again
              Don't be too sure about Povetkin -- Chagaev is the best he's fought by quite a ways, and he and Atlas only had a 3-week camp. Povetkin is going down!

Comment

Great read. Helenius is looking strong, 3 world champs in 16 fights, that's damn good. Plus he has size, reminds me of Sanders a bit with that left hook. Could be trouble for Wlad if he catches him but can he catch him? The Sanders fight was an anomoly, had they rematched immediately afterwards, Wlad would have whooped him.

Also, White Wolf is looking trimmer and slimmer than ever, if he fights like he did against Brewster, it should be interesting. I am still going with the Nordic Nightmare but I hope Sergei wins cause of the Slavic thing but a win for Helenius would be better for HW boxing due to a fresh top contender.

Povetkin vs Chagaev-hmmm, I hope Sasha wins but I am not sure how much damage Atlas and the broken hand have done to him. The only man to beat Chagaev has been Wlad, so this is a difficult one to call. Both looked lackluster against mediocre opposition lately. 50/50 in my opinion.

Comment

Good article. I was surprised to see Cliff Rold write anything positive about a current heavyweight.

I like Helenius, but he would be no match for a Klitschko.

Robert is very heavy-handed and surprisingly crafty. He has deceptively quick handspeed.

But he is clearly less athletic than the Klitschkos and has relatively poor footwork. Helenius is soft around the midsection, and so unlike the Klitschkos he's easily hurt by body punches.

In the amateurs, Helenius had an amazingly high KO percentage, but he also lost his share of decisions. He can be beaten by someone with the right skills and strategy.

Comment

Working...
                  X