No announcement yet.

Charley Burley

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Charley Burley

Here is the only footage of Charley Burley that exists. In this footage Burley is past his prime, he is taking on Oakland Billy Smith(30-12-3) who he has already defeated. After this Burley would have 10 more fight's winning 9 of them and losing 1. Before hanging up the gloves in 1950.

Who knows how good Charley Burley could of been if given the chance, but it's very sad as he was never given this chance due to the colour of his skin.

Date-April 4th 1946
    Location-Auditorium, Oakland, California, USA
    Referee: Toby Irwin

So is SRR ducking Burley a boxing myth, or is there some truth to it?

Comment

Originally posted by Gift Of Gab View Post
      There is indeed truth in it. Some say Robinson avoided a showdown with Burley in 1940's. But Robinson wasn't on his own in avoding a showdown with Burley. Billy Conn's(Team), Jake Lamotta, and Tony Zale were also all of belived to of ducked Burley.

As the saying goes ''Charley Burley was to good for his own good''
      Last edited by Southpaw16BF; 04-19-2009, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Gift Of Gab View Post
        Well, the truth is that Burley was a ranked middleweight while Robinson was a young welterweight. Burley was already in decline when Robinson became the welterweight champion and only fought occasionally after 1946.

Robinson did get an offer to fight Burley although I'm not sure at what point of their careers that offer was made. Robinson supposedly didn't think Burley was enough of a crowd-pleaser to make the fight worthwhile, or something to that effect. Maybe he didn't fancy Burley's patient counter punching style.

Comment

Originally posted by TheManchine View Post
          Well, the truth is that Burley was a ranked middleweight while Robinson was a young welterweight. Burley was already in decline when Robinson became the welterweight champion and only fought occasionally after 1946.

Robinson did get an offer to fight Burley although I'm not sure at what point of their careers that offer was made. Robinson supposedly didn't think Burley was enough of a crowd-pleaser to make the fight worthwhile, or something to that effect. Maybe he didn't fancy Burley's patient counter punching style.
          You certainly wouldn't fight Burley unless you were going to get a decent payday.

Comment

Indeed Robinson thought the two would make a Dull Fight. And thus wasn't interested.

Comment

Robinson was on some Floyd "step your PPV game up" ****.

Comment

Local promoters in Minnesota tried to hype a fight between the two and put them on the same card. Robinson beat Dick Banner and Burley beat George Wilson, both of them in impressive early KO fashion.

Then Robinson suddenly doubled his previous demand of $25,000 to $50,000.

He declared that he was "too pretty to fight Burley".

Interestingly, Burley himself never really blamed Robinson, and said he would've likely done the same thing. It's discussed in the book "Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row".

"Ray ducked me. George Gainford (Ray's manager) admitted that much. But, I can't say I blame him. There wasn't no money in us fighting each other. All we would have done is knock each other off."

"You know, to me the most remarkable thing about Ray's career is that he didn't even get a shot at the welterweight title til he was 26- or the middleweight title til' he was 30! You think he was the greatest? What do you think he'd a been if he'd gotten his chances when he deserved them? You wanna know the truth? If I coulda' got my shot, I wouldn't have risked it fighting someone like Ray."

Comment

Originally posted by Thread Stealer View Post
                  Local promoters in Minnesota tried to hype a fight between the two and put them on the same card. Robinson beat Dick Banner and Burley beat George Wilson, both of them in impressive early KO fashion.

Then Robinson suddenly doubled his previous demand of $25,000 to $50,000.

He declared that he was "too pretty to fight Burley".

Interestingly, Burley himself never really blamed Robinson, and said he would've likely done the same thing. It's discussed in the book "Charley Burley and the Black Murderers Row".

"Ray ducked me. George Gainford (Ray's manager) admitted that much. But, I can't say I blame him. There wasn't no money in us fighting each other. All we would have done is knock each other off."

"You know, to me the most remarkable thing about Ray's career is that he didn't even get a shot at the welterweight title til he was 26- or the middleweight title til' he was 30! You think he was the greatest? What do you think he'd a been if he'd gotten his chances when he deserved them? You wanna know the truth? If I coulda' got my shot, I wouldn't have risked it fighting someone like Ray."
                  Ray Robinson at times could be a promoters worst nighmare to negotiate with, and would always make demands etc to better his part of the deal. And at times they were ridiculous ones.

Him and Marcel Cerdan were due to meet until Robinson priced himself out the showdown also.

Comment

Burley is my favorite old time fighter from that era. Wish their was more footage of him, he was brilliant.

Comment

Working...
                    X