No announcement yet.

My Final thoughts on Ricky Hatton

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Final thoughts on Ricky Hatton

Firstly, he has made the right decision to retire, and I hope he doesn't go back on it.

For the fight itself, I actually thought Hatton looked pretty good considering a variety of reasons

1. The Drug and Alcohol abuse
    2. getting back into shape after 3 years
    3. not having fought or even spared for 3 years
    4. the (relatively) quality of opponent

I think Ricky made a mistake in coming back at this level. He should have fought a tune up style opponent first out, it's what I said when he announced his comeback. He should have gone for a domestic guy like Peter McDonagh, over 8 rounds, so he goes the 8 and can see what needs to be worked on.

You could see from looking at him that although he was "in shape" the muscle was soft, his body wasn't solid, it was like a work in process.

The sharpness wasn't there, and neither was the engine, he was awfully tired by the 9th

I think he could have done better in this comeback if he'd been a bit more realistic, and taken tune ups.

George Foreman fought several tin cans when he came back, most guys do, but ricky was arrogant.

He doesn't have the mentality to be in boxing anymore, if he did, I wouldnt mind to see him have another go, as i think he can still fight, I think his body is run down, but salvagable under the right regime, but mentally he just isn't right and enough is enough now.

He didn't pick the right fight, I don't know if its arrogance or delusional or bravery but he should have had one or two South America cab drivers like he use to before stepping it up, I know Paulie M beats senchenko and all that but this was a fight too soon as a comeback for Hatton.

Comment

McDonagh isn't an appropriate opponent for Hatton, someone like Zaveck would've been a good choice. Stupid mistake picking a guy who's as big as Senchenko is, I don't know why Ricky did.

Comment

I think excessive yo yo dieting is just as bad as doing drugs!

That type of behaviour towards foods creates an emotional eating disorder and puts the toll on immune system since the body has to adapt to dramatic eating pattern not to mention screwing up your organs in the long run.

Still want to see:

Ricky Hatton vs Zab Judah!

Comment

Originally posted by Earl Hickey View Post
          Firstly, he has made the right decision to retire, and I hope he doesn't go back on it.

For the fight itself, I actually thought Hatton looked pretty good considering a variety of reasons

1. The Drug and Alcohol abuse
          2. getting back into shape after 3 years
          3. not having fought or even spared for 3 years
          4. the (relatively) quality of opponent

I think Ricky made a mistake in coming back at this level. He should have fought a tune up style opponent first out, it's what I said when he announced his comeback. He should have gone for a domestic guy like Peter McDonagh, over 8 rounds, so he goes the 8 and can see what needs to be worked on.

You could see from looking at him that although he was "in shape" the muscle was soft, his body wasn't solid, it was like a work in process.

The sharpness wasn't there, and neither was the engine, he was awfully tired by the 9th

I think he could have done better in this comeback if he'd been a bit more realistic, and taken tune ups.

George Foreman fought several tin cans when he came back, most guys do, but ricky was arrogant.

He doesn't have the mentality to be in boxing anymore, if he did, I wouldnt mind to see him have another go, as i think he can still fight, I think his body is run down, but salvagable under the right regime, but mentally he just isn't right and enough is enough now.
          You are correct in almost everything you write, in my opinion, although Foreman didn't fight just "several", before he lost to Holyfield, he fought "all". He fought 22 of the Palooka variety, plus Gerry Cooney, who although he only had 2 losses, at 35 was 8 years removed from his great battle with Larry Holmes, and was well past it. He'd had only about 10 rds total since Holmes, and none at all for the previous 3-4 years in which he was KO'd.. So he could have also been classed as a Palooka. He was just a name, nothing more.

Comment

I agree with a lot of your post. I just don't think his heart was in it anymore. Once that is gone your done.

Comment

The bottom line is that there was NO wheres to go! When your a top ten guy and your out of the top ten because when you step up in competition you get stopped its time to STOP! This kid did very well for himself in his career, he was a good fighter who came to win and thats enough. He was NOT a great fighter with great techniques but that doesn't mean he had nothing to offer! Even if he'd won against a lesser opponent the proff would show up in the next bout unless he stays home and fights set ups! Why in the world would he do that! He was done 3 years ago, he took a few bad beatings he should have listened to Floyd and Pacman! They made it very clear. Ray.

Comment

The bottom line is that there was NO wheres to go! When your a top ten guy and your out of the top ten because when you step up in competition you get stopped its time to STOP! This kid did very well for himself in his career, he was a good fighter who came to win and thats enough. He was NOT a great fighter with great techniques but that doesn't mean he had nothing to offer! Even if he'd won against a lesser opponent the proof would show up in the next bout unless he stays home and fights set ups! Why in the world would he do that! He was done 3 years ago, he took a few bad beatings he should have listened to Floyd and Pacman! They made it very clear. Ray.

SORRY delete please!

Comment

Working...
                X