Help with gloves for newbie....

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help with gloves for newbie....

Hi

I am new to boxing training and have just started the gym. I have been using an old set of gloves that have been lying around in the gym that don't feel very good.

I am wanting to buy some gloves that give me the protection I need..

I am 5'11 and weigh 177ilbs, 29years old.

I will be doing mainly bag/pad work 2-3 hours per week with maybe 30 mins sparring a week.

Do I need two sets of gloves, for example a 16oz for sparring and a lighter 12oz for bag/pad?

Or do I just buy a set of 16oz training gloves such as the Ringside Pro training glove and use it for everything.

Is there any advantages or disadvantages of having a lighter set of gloves for bag/pad work.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Lemarr ultimate pro Mk2 are THE best quality glove on the market for the money.
    Far better than Rival, Ringside and every bit as good as Grant, Reyes & the likes for a hell of a lot less.
    I can not state how highly I rate these gloves after spending years using Grant, Reyes, Rival & other brands not worth half of the ridiculous pricetag.

They offer superb protection to the hands & wrist, quality fit and built to last.

Check the reviews here & ignore the retail price, they can be found as cheap as £50

http://www.boxingcapital.com/article...xing-Equipment

Comment

THey should provide gloves for sparring. If not get 2 pairs, because hitting the bag will "flatten" the padding(don't really know how to explain this) and not give much protection. They will kind of lose the padding in a sense in the knuckle area. Sparring gloves should be 16oz or more.
      You would want something around 14oz for the bag gloves though.

Comment

So I would need to pairs I gather? Seems a little waste as only sparring 30mins a week. And only 2oz in them.
        What are the most commonly used bag gloves and sparring glove. I have probably 70 each to spend.

Comment

Thanks for the link. It was a good read.
          Are you recommending that I use the Lemarr 14oz for both bag/pad and sparring until I get into a lot more sparring and then buy some sparring gloves.

Comment

Originally posted by ak07 View Post
            Thanks for the link. It was a good read.
            Are you recommending that I use the Lemarr 14oz for both bag/pad and sparring until I get into a lot more sparring and then buy some sparring gloves.

16oz for bag/pads & sparring. Even with handwraps hitting a proper heavybag with small gloves will higher the risk of injury.

Too many using 12/14oz gloves for sparring IMO, the aim is to learn, improve not kill your sparring partners.

16oz will do more for your handspeed, your hand/wrist/partners safety, stamina & endurance than a lighter pair will.
            Use a bigger pair, get your speed up, your hands will feel light as a feather is a smaller competition glove.

Just my two cents.

Comment

Working...
            X