Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Video] Roy Jones on the negativity of commentators and what he would do to improve..

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [Video] Roy Jones on the negativity of commentators and what he would do to improve..

the sport. Not that old of a video, surprised I didn't catch this, only has 22K views too.

Great find. I remember reading an article with Roy talking about the state of boxing commentary not long ago. As always Roy was dead on. Boxing really needs to fix this.

A lot of the people tuning in these fights are casual fans or noobs that only know what they get from these commentators. Showtime does an ok job but HBO needs serious overhaul. You got Jim Lampey on one side giving reach arounds to the house fighters and ruining the show with his wrong calls and schoolgirl cheering. Then you have Larry Merchant talking crap about everyone and Harold Lederman and his biased scores between the rounds. Emanuel Steward does a ok job most of the time. It's to the point where if Kellerman and RJJ aren't involved I keep the volume down.

Comment

Roy Jones is right.

I've always thought the excessive negativity of Teddy Atlas on ESPN turns away casual fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Freedom. View Post
        Roy Jones is right.

I've always thought the excessive negativity of Teddy Atlas on ESPN turns away casual fans.
        Nah, Atlas, although he loves to hear himself talk is one of my favorite commentators. I'm surprised Roy brought this up though, he's right though.

Originally posted by Zeus Molecules View Post
        Great find. I remember reading an article with Roy talking about the state of boxing commentary not long ago. As always Roy was dead on. Boxing really needs to fix this.

A lot of the people tuning in these fights are casual fans or noobs that only know what they get from these commentators. Showtime does an ok job but HBO needs serious overhaul. You got Jim Lampey on one side giving reach arounds to the house fighters and ruining the show with his wrong calls and schoolgirl cheering. Then you have Larry Merchant talking crap about everyone and Harold Lederman and his biased scores between the rounds. Emanuel Steward does a ok job most of the time. It's to the point where if Kellerman and RJJ aren't involved I keep the volume down.
        At this point I'm not liking Max or Steward. By the way I've only now entered the 4th season of The Wire, I know I'm late but I'm definitely feeling the show.

Comment

spot on.

not only should most of the hbo commentators be fired but whoever is responsible for them keeping their jobs this long should be fired too.

Comment

kellerman deserves to take jim's job and rjj should be his right hand man. mix up who the third guy is every fight, but steward deserves a spot in the rotation, just cant see him every fight or he gets annoying.

Comment

max kellerman aint that good(definitely not enough to be put beside roy jones)

kellerman is also a fanboy and he shows it every chance he gets

Comment

Great video

I wish RJJ would do more fight commentating tbh

Dude is pretty much always dead on plus you dont hear him saying dumb **** like "Mayweather went from a hip hop fighter to a rap fighter"

Comment

Ironically, I was about to make a similar thread a week ago.

Roy is right and if you think about any negative remark or knock on a fighter, it originated from a commentator.

I understand that fighters talk down on their opponent but after the fight they give that fighter respect.

However after, and even during the fight commentators like Lampley (main culprit) Merchant and Kellerman do their best to put an asterisk on a fighters win and in turn fans parrot a lot of these ridiculous statements and ideas.

If you ever paid attention, then you would see a huge contrast between guys like Foreman, Lewis and Roy when they called fights as they actually know what it takes to compete and get in the ring.

Even in a loss they can point out what a fighter can do to improve himself and help himself next fight and this in turn makes fans what to see the fighter again.

I'm sure most casual fans listening to HBO guys, not only wouldn't want to see the loser (as he is a bum/overrated) but the champ as well because HBO probably painted the picture that he cherry picked/fought a shot fighter/ fought a guy who was overrated to begin with.

Dana white would never allow that, and that is why UFC is as popular as it is and why most people don't take boxing that serious.

Comment

I hate Floyd with a passion, but I can honestly say that the hate he gets from HBO is ridiculous. He is an ATG and one of these generations best fighters.

Name any other sport that tries to **** on one of its top guys?

Can you imagine baseball analyst ****ting on Pujos 24/7.

What about the NBA ****ting on MJ in the 90's, and guys like Kobe and Lebron?

I see those guys (in other sports) pointing out a few negative things, but it isn't the campaign of hate/discrediting that is seen in boxing.

Comment

Working...
                    X