Difference between an ATG and HOF?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difference between an ATG and HOF?

I tend to think their is one.

All Time Greats I think of as Sugar Ray Robinson, Ray Leonard, Pernell Whitaker, Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis, ect. As guys that have accomplished so much at the elite level that they are in a class of their own.

Hall of famers I tend to believe are guys like Gatti & Corrales. Guys that will be remembered in history but didn't really accomplish at a ATG level but still should be remembered. or guys that barely missed ATG achievement level. I'm not saying these are my opinions but the people most I hear mentioned in this category(De La Hoya, Barrera, ect.)

Obviously, an ATG definitely will be a hall of famer too. I'm just posting this because sometimes I hear people say guys like Diego Corrales & Arturo Gatti aren't Hall of fame fighters because they weren't elite fighters. But dammit I think their amazing fights get them in their. That;s just how I think of things and how I put people.

Thoughts?

gatti and chico arent sure shots...................HOF..............as popular as they are.......

Comment

1. Leonard, Duran, Ali
      --------Mayweather, Pacquiao
      2. De La Hoya, Barrera
      3. Corrales, Gatti, Judah

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
        Difference between an ATG and HOF?
        First of all, the spelling...

But seriously, Hall of Famers are considered equals, while All Time Greats have seedings/ rankings.

And lastly, All Time Greats are a mythical stature which exists only in our minds, and to those who unofficially make the lists, while Hall of Famers have foundations and sponsors that are real.
        Last edited by ThunderWolf; 06-13-2010, 10:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Natedatpkid View Post
          I tend to think their is one.

All Time Greats I think of as Sugar Ray Robinson, Ray Leonard, Pernell Whitaker, Rocky Marciano, Joe Louis, ect. As guys that have accomplished so much at the elite level that they are in a class of their own.

Hall of famers I tend to believe are guys like Gatti & Corrales. Guys that will be remembered in history but didn't really accomplish at a ATG level but still should be remembered. or guys that barely missed ATG achievement level. I'm not saying these are my opinions but the people most I hear mentioned in this category(De La Hoya, Barrera, ect.)

Obviously, an ATG definitely will be a hall of famer too. I'm just posting this because sometimes I hear people say guys like Diego Corrales & Arturo Gatti aren't Hall of fame fighters because they weren't elite fighters. But dammit I think their amazing fights get them in their. That;s just how I think of things and how I put people.

Thoughts?
          I agree with you bruh 100%.

Comment

I think there are the same thing.

The distinction is made when it comes with the word: "legendary".

Just because you are an ATG/HOF doesn't mean you are a "legendary" fighter

Comment

ATG are a more select class. People will consider Lamotta a Hall of Famer, but not an all time great.

Comment

Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
                I think there are the same thing.

The distinction is made when it comes with the word: "legendary".

Just because you are an ATG/HOF doesn't mean you are a "legendary" fighter
                please do explain further........................................... .......

Comment

Originally posted by STRUGG View Post
                  please do explain further........................................... .......
                  for example the difference between mayweather and leonard.

Comment

Originally posted by MmuhammadM View Post
                    for example the difference between mayweather and leonard.
                    well leonard didnt give marvin his rematch..............but i agree....hes levels above floyd resume wise.....so legendary > atg.....do i get you right.....or does legendary somehow equate to culturAl impact they had.....example ALI, Arguello, chavez????
                    Last edited by STRUGG; 06-13-2010, 10:27 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X