No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Chavez vs. Martinez Showdown: Arguello-Mancini Redux

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Chavez vs. Martinez Showdown: Arguello-Mancini Redux

By Cliff Rold - A defending champion from the Latin world, highly regarded by the fistic faithful but largely unknown to the mainstream sporting world.

The undefeated son of a fighter looking to live up to his father’s dreams and stamp his own name in fistic lore.

The ingredients for a classic at hand.

The older champion wants to make the leap to superstardom and looks to do it over the body of a younger man with a vibrant fan base. The younger man brings ample pressure and the energy of youth, willing to take two, and sometimes three, in order to stay on top of his man.

Such was the case almost twenty-one years ago, October 3, 1981, when the great Alexis Arguello defended the lineal and WBC Lightweight championship against one of the last great matinee idols, Ray “Boom Boom” Mancini.

On the eve of the anticipated showdown between lineal Middleweight Champion Sergio Martinez and WBC titlist Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., the parallels (even with plenty of contrasts) to Arguello-Mancini are hard to ignore. The fighting styles are different but the promise is similar. [Click Here To Read More]

Damn good piece of writing.

Comment

Nice trip back to a great fight. We'd only be so lucky if Martinez-Chavez is half as good a fight as Arguello-Mancini, which was a war. I was rooting for Arguello but found myself admiring Mancini's toughness by the end. As you note, there are tons of differences (Chavez is a rIch kid handed his success through daddy's connections, Mancini earned his shot the hard way, despite the nice story about his dad), it is still an interesting comparison.

One small thing: Arguello-Mancini was about 31 years ago, not 21 years ago, although I wish you were right so I'd get a decade back

Comment

Originally posted by giacomino View Post
        Nice trip back to a great fight. We'd only be so lucky if Martinez-Chavez is half as good a fight as Arguello-Mancini, which was a war. I was rooting for Arguello but found myself admiring Mancini's toughness by the end. As you note, there are tons of differences (Chavez is a rIch kid handed his success through daddy's connections, Mancini earned his shot the hard way, despite the nice story about his dad), it is still an interesting comparison.

One small thing: Arguello-Mancini was about 31 years ago, not 21 years ago, although I wish you were right so I'd get a decade back
        I caught that before you did and waiting for the web guys to fix. I do that a lot when I talk to. I have a mental thing about the 80s being 30-some years ago.

Comment

Well written article, there are some similarities with Arguello/Mancini in terms of stakes and backgrounds but stylewise this fight will resemble Pacquiao/Margarito.

Comment

Originally posted by Light_Speed View Post
            Well written article, there are some similarities with Arguello/Mancini in terms of stakes and backgrounds but stylewise this fight will resemble Pacquiao/Margarito.
            Nah... It will be more like this

Comment

Arguello vs Mancini lmao! This is Larry Holmes vs Marvis Frazier all over again.

Comment

Chavez Jr has nowhere near the skill set of Arguello or Mancini.

Comment

Originally posted by jaded View Post
                  Chavez Jr has nowhere near the skill set of Arguello or Mancini.
                  Totally agree with you !! Chavez jr. finally got schooled...apart from the last round it was all Martinez !!

Comment

mere fluke

chavez, punch that knocked down chavez is just a mere fluke. it is very clear that the skill of martinez is too much for chavez. chavez is overrated if not for that lucky punch he will look bad

Comment

Working...
                    X