No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: HBO Withdraws 4/26 Date From Its Boxing Schedule

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: HBO Withdraws 4/26 Date From Its Boxing Schedule

A planned HBO-televised doubleheader for April 26 at Madison Square Garden Theatre in New York City is now officially off the table, the network announced Wednesday afternoon.

The date was originally reserved for unbeaten middleweight titlist Gennady Golovkin, who was set to make the 11th defense of his alphabet title. The opponent was never firmed up, although Ireland’s Andy Lee emerged as the frontrunner

However, the untimely passing of Golovkin’s father forced the Ukrainian to withdraw from the card.

Golovkin’s promoter, K2 Promotions had a hold on the venue and for the HBO date, but “with Golovkin unavailable, HBO is moving off the (April 26) date,” the network announced in a general statement through its Public Relations department. “We will move on to our other boxing programming initiatives for the spring and early summer.” [Click Here To Read More]

HBO should start working with GBP again and get these dates filled up with some good fights and undercards.

Comment

Could this mean Chavez Jr vs GGG will happen? Maybe in Texas or California.

Comment

HBo

should just save the money and spend it on BIG fights this spring/summer, namely Serg/Adonis, Jr/GGG(shoulnt be on ppv)

Comment

HBO isn't taking the Klit fight again because GGG isn't fighting. Same thing they did with floyd.

The HWT champion can't get on HBO. wow!

Comment

here we go...its time for the childish HBO v showtime pillow fights

Comment

Originally posted by -Kev- View Post
              Could this mean Chavez Jr vs GGG will happen? Maybe in Texas or California.
              Yeah..that's the one seems to be being talked about. Loeffler and Abel Sanchez were at the Jr fight. CCJ Jrs always been high on the GGG shopping list - though Arum's also mentioned Pascal as a possible opponent for Jr.

I can't see any reason GGG wouldn't take the Jr fight if offered (though personally I'd prioritise Maravilla if a choice had to be made between the two) - unless there's a strong reason to believe his fathers death may have impacted his fighting in some way.

In an ideal world I'd hope for Jr in late summer and Maravilla in Nov/Dec for Golovkin. It might sound odd, but until I see how Sergio shows up against Cotto, I'd consider Jr the tougher fight right now.

Either of them's a decent step up for GGG. Let's hope at least one gets made.

Comment

Guess they didn't like the idea of Lee/Macklin

Comment

@-Kev- agreed. I just want to see GGG in with a vertified name as soon as possible as I believe he will still shine. GGG needs to up competetion level if not his next fight (granted for him being off a few months in mourning) than the one after that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hougigo View Post
                    Guess they didn't like the idea of Lee/Macklin
                    Macklin said he woudln't be able to fight on the date because of some chest infection or something anyway.

Comment

Working...
                    X