No announcement yet.

Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez on Mayweather, Chavez, Injuries, More

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Comments Thread For: Sergio Martinez on Mayweather, Chavez, Injuries, More

WBC middleweight champion Sergio Martinez is still hoping for a shot at Floyd Mayweather but said on Monday he would not lose sleep trying to pin down the elusive pound-for-pound fighter.

"Mayweather skirts around things so it's complicated to focus on going after him," the 37-year-old southpaw known as 'Maravilla' said during his first return home to Argentina since winning the title.
    [Click Here To Read More]

floyd will find a way not to fight sergio.

floyd will conveniently go back down to 147 if sergio starts fighting at 154 again.

Comment

Right now Chavez is SO FAT.. i doubt he'll come back to boxing.

Comment

Sergio Martinez will vacate his belts and move back down to 154 after he seeing Peter "THe Chocolate Kid" Guillen.

I think The Chocolate Kid is the Best at 160 hands down. He will out class Sergio Martinez and I think that is the fight Martinez should be looking at. Rather then him chasing these smaller guys.

Comment

Floyd will probably go back to 147 because thats where his weight is really at. He only goes up if he has to. And being a true champion he dont do catch weights like Punkiao. All you Floyd haters make me laugh. The dude is the best and most people dont know shxt about boxing

Comment

Originally posted by DTMB View Post
            floyd will find a way not to fight sergio.

floyd will conveniently go back down to 147 if sergio starts fighting at 154 again.
            You really think that if they fight at 154 lbs, the fight would really happen at 154 lbs? Sergio Martinez would strategically come into that ring ABOVE 154 lbs, and weigh-in at 158 or 160 lbs (Broner-style). And guess what, the fight wouldn't get canceled because of the nature in which Floyd invests into his fights. He'd be forced to go into the ring and fight Martinez at 158 or 160 lbs, or just go home and cry about how he just lost so many millions of his own money.

No way in the world that fight happens.

Comment

Originally posted by BoriBlaze1 View Post
              Sergio Martinez will vacate his belts and move back down to 154 after he seeing Peter "THe Chocolate Kid" Guillen.

I think The Chocolate Kid is the Best at 160 hands down. He will out class Sergio Martinez and I think that is the fight Martinez should be looking at. Rather then him chasing these smaller guys.
              GGG, Macklin, Priog all beat Quillin right now, that is insane did you see his lack D, hell I think lost on the round total. You are trizznippin

Comment

Sup everybody? I have been lurking around this site for a few years. Joined a couple years back, just never felt the need to comment. Seriously though, all this hate on boxers is ridiculous:

"floyd will find a way not to fight sergio. "

Yeah, you are right. Floyd is such a chicken for not fighting every body who ever had a belt. Maybe he should stop ducking Ward too? Hell, he ducked Roy Jones Jr. through the early 2000s by this rationale...Gtfo with the hate.
                Mayweather is barely a Jr middle. Facts gurus correct me, but has he even weighed in at 154? And God forbid he "ducks" a Middleweight who just spent 11 rounds handling a Cruiserweight.

Comment

Originally posted by artofax View Post
                  Floyd will probably go back to 147 because thats where his weight is really at. He only goes up if he has to. And being a true champion he dont do catch weights like Punkiao. All you Floyd haters make me laugh. The dude is the best and most people dont know shxt about boxing
                  uh, he fought a 142 lb jmm at a catchweight in which he did not even meet the required and contracted weight in which he agreed upon...
                  the espn article is below
                  know your facts before you spew rhetoric

"Mayweather loses $300K per pound
                  Updated: September 18, 2009, 11:44 PM ET
                  By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Email
                  Print

LAS VEGAS -- Floyd Mayweather Jr. weighed in at 146 pounds on Friday afternoon, two pounds heavier than the weight stipulated in the contract for his comeback fight against lightweight champion Juan Manuel Marquez on Saturday night at the MGM Grand Garden Arena.

The excess weight will cost Mayweather $300,000 per pound, meaning Marquez will get an additional $600,000 on top of his $3.2 million guarantee, a source told ESPN.com. Mayweather's minimum guarantee is $10 million, a figure likely to dramatically increase after the pay-per-view receipts are counted.

Marquez, who has never fought heavier than 135 pounds, comfortably made 142 pounds, two less than the 144-pound contract weight.

At Mayweather's request, nobody would speak publicly about the contract weight throughout the promotion that kicked off in early May and continued into the fall when the fight was postponed from July 18 because of a Mayweather rib injury.

However, several sources with direct knowledge of the contract told ESPN.com all along that the contract maximum weight was 144 pounds, three less than the 147-pound welterweight maximum.

But after Friday's weigh-in, Golden Boy CEO Richard Schaefer finally addressed the issue, telling ESPN.com, "The fight was contracted as a welterweight fight with an agreed upon weight of 144 pounds. However, there were pre-negotiated weight penalties built in."

Schaefer would not disclose the dollar figure, but another source with direct knowledge of the contract told ESPN.com that the penalty was $300,000 per pound if either fighter was overweight.

According to the source, the Marquez camp knew Wednesday night that Mayweather would not make weight because Mayweather's team made overtures to Golden Boy Promotions in an effort to have Marquez agree to change weight on the bout agreements to be filed with the Nevada State Athletic Commission."

Comment

I don't know if Martinez will get to fight Mayweather yet.

Comment

Working...
                    X