Jimmy bivins - ATG?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jimmy bivins - ATG?

I say he is.......

Bivins was a damn good contender but he's no ATG.

Almost everytime he fought an ATG Bivins came up short, making him ineligible for the status.

Bloody good fighter though. Just ATG is made up of what 120 guys? Bivins is by no means in there but I guess it's your perception of ATG that really matters.

Comment

Jimmy Bivins has a pretty stellar resume.

Off the top of my head he holds wins over;

Charley Burley
      Ezzard Charles
      Archie Moore
      Lloyd Marshall
      Joey Maxim

And I'm quite sure he beat some other great-boaderline great fighters aswell.

He lost a lot of fights but his resume of wins is exceptional, and most defintely ATG quality.

The thing holding him back is his losses, but, I personally don't put too much stock into them. I base ranking mainly off wins.

And Bivins resume of wins again is exceptional.

I'd say he's boarderline.

Comment

He is!! Losses means you fought ALOT and he did. He beat all the greats in his era so why would he be left out? If I remember correctly he beat most of them atleast Twice!! His looses were against them also, theres always a few stinker fights thrown in. Your not gonna feel great all the time you step in and if you step in alot its gonna happen even against lesser talent. I think he had a few years in a row with 15 to 20 fights a year, don't see the fellows today doing that when won lose records mean so much now. To bad it gives the "fans" a chance to see just how great a fighter is instead of relying on fighting lighter weight guys for 5 years then veterans way beyond their prime, then your considered great yet your history is mediocre! I think he had a few fights into the early fifties too but he was not the same guy time robs everyone of their skills. He beat some BIG names, often too! Ray

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
          Bivins was a damn good contender but he's no ATG.

Almost everytime he fought an ATG Bivins came up short, making him ineligible for the status.

Bloody good fighter though. Just ATG is made up of what 120 guys? Bivins is by no means in there but I guess it's your perception of ATG that really matters.
          That's a cool point of view my friend..

Just, i have a certain affection for Bivins..

I'd always been a big admirer of the 'Cleveland Spiderman' but in October of last year, i got myself seriously ****'d up in a motorbike smash.. While in what i'd describe as a liquid morphine coma, and **** knows why but for some reason, the great man (or his ghost) sat at the end of my bed and throughout a long halaucigenic dream, we talked boxing.. He was telling me all about Archie Moore and how Ezzard Charles was the best he'd ever fought..

Hospital madness i'm afraid, but it all inspired me to learn a bit more about him..
          To the best of my knowledge he was still alive up until fairly recently.. Can't even find anything that says he is dead, but i can remember reading an article about him being in his 90's and in a nursing home..

Old school legend who had a knack of beating the bigger guys, with a platinum standard resume..
          Last edited by mickey malone; 02-13-2012, 04:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by mickey malone View Post
            That's a cool point of view my friend..

Just, i have a certain affection for Bivins..

I'd always been a big admirer of the 'Cleveland Spiderman' but in October of last year, i got myself seriously ****'d up in a motorbike smash.. While in what i'd describe as a liquid morphine coma, and **** knows why but for some reason, the great man (or his ghost) sat at the end of my bed and throughout a long halaucigenic dream, we talked boxing.. He was telling me all about Archie Moore and how Ezzard Charles was the best he'd ever fought..

Hospital madness i'm afraid, but it all inspired me to learn a bit more about him..
            To the best of my knowledge he was still alive up until fairly recently.. Can't even find anything that says he is dead, but i can remember reading an article about him being in his 90's and in a nursing home..

Old school legend who had a knack of beating the bigger guys, with a platinum standard resume..
            Woah, that's nasty man great to hear you're better now though and I hope you no further harm or difficulty from the accident.

And that's a crazy phenomenon that happened, who knows. Maybe it was Mr Bivins himself (if he has sadly deceased, although I had a quick rummage and couldn't find anything either, shame how he's faded into obscurity. Maybe contact henry hascup?) . Doubt he has many great fans, maybe just came to comfort someone who admired him.

Comment

Originally posted by Ray Corso View Post
              He is!! Losses means you fought ALOT and he did. He beat all the greats in his era so why would he be left out? If I remember correctly he beat most of them atleast Twice!! His looses were against them also, theres always a few stinker fights thrown in. Your not gonna feel great all the time you step in and if you step in alot its gonna happen even against lesser talent. I think he had a few years in a row with 15 to 20 fights a year, don't see the fellows today doing that when won lose records mean so much now. To bad it gives the "fans" a chance to see just how great a fighter is instead of relying on fighting lighter weight guys for 5 years then veterans way beyond their prime, then your considered great yet your history is mediocre! I think he had a few fights into the early fifties too but he was not the same guy time robs everyone of their skills. He beat some BIG names, often too! Ray
              Sound response.... "He is!!"...... Love it !

Comment

Originally posted by Barnburner View Post
                Woah, that's nasty man great to hear you're better now though and I hope you no further harm or difficulty from the accident.

And that's a crazy phenomenon that happened, who knows. Maybe it was Mr Bivins himself (if he has sadly deceased, although I had a quick rummage and couldn't find anything either, shame how he's faded into obscurity. Maybe contact henry hascup?) . Doubt he has many great fans, maybe just came to comfort someone who admired him.
                Thanks fella..

Most of my fingers bought it, so it's just the typing for now, be a while b4 i can crack a heavy bag again..

Comment

Working...
                X