Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pacquiao/Marquez 4 undercard fights set

Gamboa added to Dec. 8 card

By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

GamboaEd Mulholland/Fightwire.comAfter more than a year away from the ring, Yuriorkis Gamboa could return to face Miguel Beltran Jr.

We all know that Manny Pacquiao and Juan Manuel Marquez will meet for the fourth time on Dec. 8 (HBO PPV) at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. But what else will you get if you decide to shell out the $50 or $60 to buy the pay-per-view? Here is what you can expect the undercard to look like, according to Top Rank, although the bouts are not finalized yet:

• Former featherweight titlist Yuriorkis Gamboa (21-0, 16 KOs), who left Top Rank when rapper 50 Cent, an aspiring promoter, bought out his contract for seven figures earlier this year, will be on the card under a deal struck between 50 and Top Rank. If the fight is finalized, Gamboa -- idle since September 2011 after pulling out of a fight earlier this year with Brandon Rios and because of the snit with Top Rank that led to the sale of his contract -- would face Mexico's Miguel Beltran Jr. (27-2, 17 KOs) for a vacant interim junior lightweight belt. Beltran is coming off a split decision loss to Roman “Rocky” Martinez for a vacant title in an all-action slugfest on the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. undercard on Sept. 15.

• Lightweight titleholder Miguel Vazquez (32-3, 13 KOs) of Mexico, who retained his belt with a split decision win against mandatory challenger Marvin Quintero last Saturday night in the opening bout of an HBO tripleheader, is being lined up to face the Philippines’ Mercito Gesta (26-0-1, 14 KOs) in a fight that has been in the works since before Vazquez even faced Quintero.

• Dynamic featherweight prospect Javier Fortuna (20-0, 15 KOs) of the Dominican Republic likely will face upstate New York-based Ireland native Patrick Hyland (27-0, 12 KOs) for a vacant interim featherweight belt.

wow absolute garbage! I think this might be the first fight I stream : (

Comment

Eh.... I'm watching for free anyway

Comment

i was expecting worse...that's not too bad

Comment

Originally posted by -MAKAVELLI- View Post
          i was expecting worse...that's not too bad
          actually pretty food for TR undercard. The return of Gamboa is enticing, bunch of people think vazquez might be the best at 130 lbs, and the rest is meh but not bad either.

Comment

Originally posted by Oh you out son View Post
            actually pretty food for TR undercard. The return of Gamboa is enticing, bunch of people think vazquez might be the best at 130 lbs, and the rest is meh but not bad either.

i was expecting absolute no-names or some fossils like Casamayor or something

im interested to see how Gamboa looks...Gesta-Vasquez should be decent as well

Comment

Yea, not a terrible undercard but that is a weak co-feature the three fights are all fine for the lower part of a PPV card and could be fun but I just think the co-feature should stand out more.

Comment

Gamboa vs. Martinez should be good, I really don't care to see Vasquez again, and I was almost 100% possitive that they would put Mike Lee on the card as well as Rigondeaux. I hope they don't think of giving Rigondeaux main event status on an upcoming HBO, because so far his competition has been extremely poor. Overall this card deserves a D+, C- if I'm being generous, You figure people really don't want to see the main event so the undercard should have been stacked. Or maybe that speaks to the stable of fighters that top rank has. (Not much to choose from in each division)

Comment

Not horrible. Im basically done buying PPVs so i dont really care

Comment

A very streamable card

Comment

Working...
                    X