No announcement yet.

Mayweather: "I'll only fight Martinez at 150 lbs, I'll fight Cotto at 154."

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mayweather: "I'll only fight Martinez at 150 lbs, I'll fight Cotto at 154."

Disclaimer: The title is not a quote of Mayweather. It is too separate documented things he said he was willing to do. It's paraphrased and the quotes should be removed. At the end of the day, those are the things he said he'd be willing to do. But that's besides the point as that is not the thread's main point. It's simply about the reality that CW's have existed for a long time and have a place in boxing.

Note: This thread was inspired by a fan in Fat Dan's Chat. Also, all Pacquiao and Mayweather huggers please exit this thread now. I know you won't listen, but it was worth a shot. Here we go:

The fact that Mayweather is willing to fight Cotto at 154 but would make Martinez drop to 150 speaks volumes.

Obviously the issue of weight has nothing to do with caring whether or not his opponent is comfortable, but more about he doesn't feel he needs to adjust his weight to win. And if he can overcome a small sticking point and insult Pac at the same time? All the better. If Mayweather/JMM didn't tell you that Mayweather doesn't care about CW's, then I guess you aren't going to get it.

With that said though, it's not just Mayweather. Pac has used catchweights. Cotto attempted to make Margario fight below 154 for their rematch(so for everyone, Cotto included, b*tching about CWs? What a joke.) And throughout boxing history, many, many fighters have used catchweights.

It's all a matter of one fighter having more clout than his opponent, a genuine need for a catchweight between two fighters from different weight classes, or a CW being treated as a bargaining chip in a negotiation. At the end of the day, they exist, they aren't great. BUT they are a part of boxing and there are many guilty parties.
    Last edited by DrewWoodside; 02-03-2012, 05:16 PM.

..thats chicekn**** way of the biggest chicken**** of the sport...lol

Comment

Much respect if he makes it happen

Comment

Originally posted by DrewWoodside View Post
        Note: This thread was inspired by a fan in Fat Dan's Chat. Also, all Pacquiao and Mayweather huggers please exit this thread now. I know you won't listen, but it was worth a shot. Here we go:

The fact that Mayweather is willing to fight Cotto at 154 but would make Martinez drop to 150 speaks volumes.

Obviously the issue of weight has nothing to do with caring whether or not his opponent is comfortable, but more about he doesn't feel he needs to adjust his weight to win. And if he can overcome a small sticking point and insult Pac at the same time? All the better. If Mayweather/JMM didn't tell you that Mayweather doesn't care about CW's, then I guess you aren't going to get it.

With that said though, it's not just Mayweather. Pac has used catchweights. Cotto attempted to make Margario fight below 154 for their rematch(so for everyone, Cotto included, b*tching about CWs? What a joke.) And throughout boxing history, many, many fighters have used catchweights.

It's all a matter of one fighter having more clout than his opponent, a genuine need for a catchweight between two fighters from different weight classes, or a CW being treated as a bargaining chip in a negotiation. At the end of the day, they exist, they aren't great. BUT they are a part of boxing and there are many guilty parties.
        in other words he never said that and ur making it up. smh...where are the mods.

Comment

Originally posted by puga View Post
          ..thats chicekn**** way of the biggest chicken**** of the sport...lol
          puga manny has fought at plenty cw's please stop with the trolling dude

Comment

"I'll only fight Martinez at 150 lbs, I'll fight Cotto at 154."

give source of this quote or delete this BS

Comment

Originally posted by DempseyRollin View Post
              in other words he never said that and ur making it up. smh...where are the mods.
              It's pretty well documented Mayweather said he'd be willing to fight Martinez at 150. But since you have an agenda and a convenient memory. Here you go:

Rob (Denton, Tx)

Floyd is fighting at 154 but didnt he say he would fight Martinez at 150 or am I making that up ?

Dan Rafael
              (12:16 PM)

He said that.

Comment

Dont you guys get sick of lying ,,,,, the 150 offer was made from Sergio to Pac and we all know Pac changed his mind and wanted 147 ,,, a reporter put it to Floyd about fighting Sergio and Floyd said he offered 150 and sure he can fight him at 150 ,,,,,

Its general conversation you bunch of dickheads , Floyd didnt ask for 150 it was put to him he will probably fight Sergio at 160 for a MW title before he retires ,,,, fuk this site is full of idiots .

Comment

Many great fighters have also not used catchweights at all. Including, Alexis Arguello, Roberto Duran, Ray Robinson, Harry Greb, Sam Langford and Roy Jones jr. There is no positive spin or legit excuses for Pacquiao winning belts at a catchweight for his convenience.

If you can fight Margarito at 150 there is no excuse for not fighting Cotto at 150.

As of right now, neither Cotto or Mayweather has won a title using catchweights.
                  Last edited by joseph5620; 02-03-2012, 05:07 PM.

Comment

It's pretty well documented Mayweather said he'd be willing to fight Martinez at 150. But since you have an agenda and a convenient memory. Here you go:

Rob (Denton, Tx)

Floyd is fighting at 154 but didnt he say he would fight Martinez at 150 or am I making that up ?

Dan Rafael
                    (12:16 PM)

He said that.
                    he didn't say he would fight Martinez at 150 he was specifically asked about Martinez saying he will go down to 150 to fight May or Pac

Comment

Working...
                    X