No announcement yet.

how much longer could have tunny held on to the title

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• how much longer could have tunny held on to the title

Suppose he boxs until he losses what year and which fighter would dethrone him? Keep in mind he was 31 when he retire and his only beating was from greb.

Originally posted by rightsideup View Post
    Suppose he boxs until he losses what year and which fighter would dethrone him? Keep in mind he was 31 when he retire and his only beating was from greb.

I hope I don't get crucified for this!

I think that Tunney would have gone undefeated for at least another 4 years. But in 1932, the Jack Sharkey who beat Max Schmelling was no joke. Tunney might not have been quite what he was at 35! Back then 35 was seen as pretty ancient for a world class boxer.

Or, perhaps in 1933 the Max Baer than beat Max Schmelling might have simply been too damn powerful for a 36 year old Tunney.

Prime for prime though; Tunney beats everyone between Dempsey and Louis in my opinion.

Comment

I figure he *could go maybe a couple more, if he kept the right attitude. But he was no dumb pug who can't do anything else. His mental attitude, his wealth and his wife would pull him away from the Ring.
      Hey, how many guys retire as Champ!?

Comment

What if!

Would love to have seen him be more active, he fought Dempsey, in 26, his only fight that year, then as Champ, he fights only once in 27, then in 28, he fights the 8th ranked contender that year, why didnt he fight Paulino Uzcudun, or Sharkey the top 2 contenders that year, he should have fought both, would have been 2 excellent fights and helped to cement his legacy even more.
        And what if he had done that in 28 and won, instead of fighting the 8th ranked guy, then in 2

Here is what should have been, in 26 he should have fought Harry Wills and Jim Maloney on his way to the Dempsey fight instead of only Dempsey that year, then as new Champ in 27 Fought Uzcudun and Sharkey, then a dempsey re-match, 3 great fights for him that year.
        if he won all 3, then in 28, fight, Stribling and Godfrey the top 2 contenders that year, then maybe fought the 8th ranked guy, but a tough Seaman and Scotland yard guy, that was a student of the game and would have allowed him to fight a lower ranked guy after the top 2 yet still a good fighter.
        If he wins all 3 and he should, in 29 he fights.
        Carnera a lower top 10 guy, then Jim Braddock, that lets him get a fight out of the top 10, then Schmeling, not sure if he wins it, but if he does then, Griffith and Scott 2 more top 10 guys, if he wins all 4 then in
        1930 he fights - Max Baer the 10th ranked contender, then Tommy Loughlan at 8, then a re-match with Sharkey, if he wins all 3 and thats a heckuva big 3 fights that year, then in 31 - at age 34 and what should be his last year, he fights - Mickey Walker, who moved to HW another champ he could add to his record, Challenge Maxie Rosenbloom to a fight, then finish the year and his career in a re-match against what was in real life the Champ that year, in Max Schmeling, after all these fights, if they had happened and he makes to this Schmeling fight in 31, I say he loses to MAX in this one to end his career on a losing note, he does not consider a re-match as he realizes it's time to hang up the gloves, but what a career it would have been to have added and possilbly won all these fights, anything would have been better than fighting 1 fight a year from 26-28 and then quitting.

Comment

Working...
        X