Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How weak would the the early 90's to early 2000's have been without Lennox Lewis?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How weak would the the early 90's to early 2000's have been without Lennox Lewis?

Lets say LL never existed yet the same fights that happened without him still occured.

Bowe was a shot fighter after the Holyfield trilogy. Holyfield wasn't shot but very inconsistent. Tyson lost to Holy and never really became a factor again. Morrison contracted HIV. Moorer was inconsistent and a knockout waiting to happen. Chris Byrd was to small and not very exciting. Ruiz wasn't very talented and even less exciting. Rahman and McCall were journeymen. Golota couldn't win the big one. Ibeabuchi went nuts. Tua had managerial problems. Vitally was labled a quitter and fought nobody of note. Wlad had been ko'd by journeymen and fringe contenders. Foreman was 100 years old and his shtick had worn thin. Holmes was 99 and his shtick had worn even thinner. Mercer was beaten by a journeyman.

Did I miss anyone?

He's one of those guys that are only appreciated when they're gone, and even then it's a begrudging appreciation.

Comment

depends. Tyson was somewhat still relevant during that time, if nothing else he was great for hype, and then you had guys like Tua and Ibeabuchi(before he went to jail). Vitali and Wladimir were starting to rise and would have gotten more priority to fight without Lewis around, and Holyfield or Tua could have ended up clashing with them around 1999 or 2000.

I actually would have kind of liked those scenarios.
      2002 and 2003 would have been pretty uneventful though probably.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
        depends. Tyson was somewhat still relevant during that time, if nothing else he was great for hype, and then you had guys like Tua and Ibeabuchi(before he went to jail). Vitali and Wladimir were starting to rise and would have gotten more priority to fight without Lewis around, and Holyfield or Tua could have ended up clashing with them around 1999 or 2000.

I actually would have kind of liked those scenarios.
        2002 and 2003 would have been pretty uneventful though probably.

Ibeabuchi was in prison before his career got to take off. Tua had bad managerial problems that have left him on the shelf much of his career. Some like to say Holy was shot.I don't think he was shot, but certainly less consistent than the fighter he was in the early 90's and before. Tyson was faded and just not really interested in putting the work in to become close to the fighter he once was. Sure he was a huge money draw, but that doesn't add credibility to the sport in my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by JAB5239 View Post

Ibeabuchi was in prison before his career got to take off. Tua had bad managerial problems that have left him on the shelf much of his career. Some like to say Holy was shot.I don't think he was shot, but certainly less consistent than the fighter he was in the early 90's and before. Tyson was faded and just not really interested in putting the work in to become close to the fighter he once was. Sure he was a huge money draw, but that doesn't add credibility to the sport in my opinion.
          true enough.

I wouldve still liked to see Holyfield vs the Klitschko brothers. the version of him that fought Lewis would have done decent imo.

essentially Im just throwing in everyone Lewis fought during that period against either Klitschko brother, and it doesnt look so horrible at that point. interesting matchups anyway.
          assuming they would have happened, of course.

Comment

Originally posted by blackirish137 View Post
            true enough.

I wouldve still liked to see Holyfield vs the Klitschko brothers. the version of him that fought Lewis would have done decent imo.

essentially Im just throwing in everyone Lewis fought during that period against either Klitschko brother, and it doesnt look so horrible at that point. interesting matchups anyway.
            assuming they would have happened, of course.

Holy vs the Klits would have been good. Why did these fights never take place?

Comment

because Lewis was there?

I dont know.
              a shame, I woudlve loved to see Holyfield, Tua or even past prime Golota version Tyson against either Klitschko brother.
              I imagine Vitali quitting against Byrd set his career back a lot, not sure what was up with Wladimir...Lewis vs Wladimir was a viable fight for almost 3 years in the very early 2000s.

Comment

Lennox Lewis was good for Heavyweight boxing through that period and from 2000-2003 he was the Flagbearer of the division, Lewis biggest pitfall was not having a world class trainer during the early to mid 90s which cost him dearly in his loss to McCall, IMO if Lewis had chosen to relocate to the USA after the Olympics and pursue his career there with a world class trainer he could have been as dominant as Joe Louis.. Lewis possessed a right-hand that was greater than any other heavyweights in history and with the right trainer that right-hand would have been seen in all his fights not just once every four or five years.

Comment

I think by the time the Klitschkos were stepping up in competition Evander was perceived as being washed up fighter.

Comment

I always thought Holyfield was the best heavyweight for the majority of the 90s. Lewis didn't really get to fight the big moneymakers of the 90s except for Holyfield. I think Lewis' last 5 years of his career were his best and most dominant. Although he was pretty consistent with big wins over Bruno, Ruddock, Morrison, Briggs and Golota. Difficult question kind of like how would the 70s look without Ali.

Comment

Working...
                    X