No announcement yet.

Boxing Will be dead in America mainstream wise after Pac and Floyd

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boxing Will be dead in America mainstream wise after Pac and Floyd

There's no more Oscar De La Hoya to fight that casual sports fans know and seem to always think is a great fighter regardless of how old he is.

Mosley's also done...if that means anything in the first place.

its a shame

even if there is someone great thats on the come up

There has to be that NAME that people know that makes the general public watch....and theres not

DLH made his name by winning a gold medal in the olympics and beating legends like JCC during a popular time in boxing. And theres just nothing like that anymore
    Last edited by Bea5T; 11-14-2010, 01:59 AM.

Yeah we were just discussing the same thing after the fight.

Comment

any other thoughts?

Comment

It's already supposed to be dead.

People said the same thing about DLH.

"After DLH retires boxing will be dead"

Wishful thinking from the idiots, someone always comes along.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpain81 View Post
          It's already supposed to be dead.

People said the same thing about DLH.

"After DLH retires boxing will be dead"

Wishful thinking from the idiots, someone always comes along.

Dlh just barely retired

and besides floyd and pac...theres literally no other fight that will get national attention sans a Mike Tyson return

so I do not see anything wrong with that statement

the only reason both Floyd and Pac got nationwide fame was beating DLH in the first place.

Comment

It will never die, ever. We have some nice future prospects coming up, sadly most of them not from the USA.

HW division might be beyond repair though

Comment

Let me reword the topic

Instead of 'Dead"

"Long drought"

Comment

Jesus, why do I have to keep going through this with "boxing fans?"

Boxing has AT THE VERY LEAST 2,000,000 hardcore fans in this country. Fans that attempt to watch EVERY fight they possibly can.

With those fans, no matter who retires, a fighter will come along that is considered the best fighter in the world. Or the most exciting. Regardless of if he's comparable to the best ever.

Those two or three fighters, will be the most watched, just by process of elimination. And when that happens, hardcore fans will watch that fighter and boast about that fighter. That creates the buzz and that creates the interest. Oscar De La Hoya is a prime example. Roy Jones is as well. Neither is really the best fighter ever, especially not Oscar, but they drew. Especially Oscar. They were the guy boxing's hardcore fans talked about.

Because of that, casual fans tuned in to see what the fuss was about.

Boxing can easily find a fighter that seems to consistently get the job done and that's who gets pushed up. It's natural process.

It has ALWAYS happened this way. It will always happen like this, and that's all there is to it.

Comment

Can't say I agree.

For example look at mayweather... Fairly dull style, not much of a highlight reel, and almost negative charisma, embarrassing private/family life, hes a draw simply because hes ranked high and doesn't lose. He's not some DLH type beloved folk-hero or anything, just some dude who happens to box very well.

When hes gone, guess what? Somebody else will take his spot in the rankings and, accordingly, the promoter hype machines will invest in them. Ultimately as much as we all hate the promoters for getting in the way of **** perpetually, they're the ones who decide who becomes big and who have a foot in the door of the media. They decide whose face goes on the poster, so to speak.

Pacquaio is indeed more of a "character" and more difficult to replace, but he's also pimarily a star overseas, not in the US. I'm sure when he retires boxing ratings in the Philipines will drop like 90%

Boxing will be fine. As long as there's someone willing to fight, the promoters are willing to invest in them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bea5T View Post
                    Dlh just barely retired

and besides floyd and pac...theres literally no other fight that will get national attention sans a Mike Tyson return

so I do not see anything wrong with that statement

the only reason both Floyd and Pac got nationwide fame was beating DLH in the first place.
                    I understand what you're saying but the thing is there is always someone that shows up at the right place at the right time. Doesn't matter if Pac beat DLH and became famous, he became a mega star and that's all that matters. I would even say Pac is bigger right now then DLH ever was, DLH was always popular but his fights weren't nowhere near as exciting as Pacs. Plus DLH always lost while Manny keeps destroying everyone.

Each fighter is different and brings their own type of draw, Boxing has been out of the mainstream for at least a decade now. The only fighters who will get any type of coverage are the ones at the top of the food chain. Only very few fighters can transcend the sport, we have two of them fighting right now so we are very lucky. For a long time it was only DLH.

Comment

Working...
                    X