No announcement yet.

Personal Favorites That Might Not Be All-Time Greats

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Personal Favorites That Might Not Be All-Time Greats

Okay, so I was just wondering which boxers you guys like that are personal favorites of yours that you always enjoyed watching, but aren't or might not be considered all-time greats, but maybe greats or pretty good during their era. For me, it would have to be:

Kevin Kelley-He's a local guy from Queens, NY. I just like him because he fought hard and had a lot of heart, but usually struggled against most of the top compeitition. He was stopped by Hamed, after he looked like he might stop him and lost to Barrera and Morales, only somewhat major wins seem to be over Derrick "Smoke" Gainer and Gregorio Vargas for his only major title win.

These other guys I know are considered good in their era, but not sure if they're ranked that highly in terms of all-time, but I like them too anyway.

Marco Antonio Barrera
    Sergio Martinez
    Miguel Cotto
    Floyd Mayweather
    Manny Pacquiao
    The Klitschkos
    Andre Ward
    Yuriorkis Gamboa

So who do you guys like that either aren't talked about much here or that might not be considered all-time greats or that might be considered good in their era but not all-time?

I enjoyed Kelly. I got to see most of his early bouts on MSG network. My favorites are he battles with Troy Dorsey and especially the first Gainer bout which was a great one. I always thought he was one of those boxers that would rather slug and he probably would have done better if he boxed more. The upset of Louie Espinoza was an example of what he could do as a boxer.

Comment

iran barkley...

almost always in entertaining fights, he gives his all in the ring and never stops trying even when being outclassed...

i dunno how would you classify it if you were a contender like him (blessing or curse) who flourished in a time when the MW scene was thriving with great talent?

though personally i believe that a prime barkley would dominate today's MW division...

shout outs for arturo gatti, emmanuel augustus and johnny tapia...

Comment

Michael Katsidis
        Danny Williams
        Kelly Pavlik
        Sergei Liakhovich
        Ricardo Mayorga
        Edison Miranda
        Joshua Clottey (stone me, I like watching him)
        Samuel Peter
        Marcos Maidana
        David Tua
        Arturo "Frikkin!" Gatti

Hell, pretty much any gutsy brawler really.

Comment

Derrick ''D-Train'' Jefferson.

Highly entertaining but nowhere near great.

Comment

I'm with you guys on the brawlers. I'm usually partial to them too. And I'd also add Gatti and Tua to my list. And two modern day boxers, Delvin Rodriguez and Pawel Wolak too. In fact, the two of them fought a war with each other last year that was a 2011 fight of the year candidate. It ended in a draw so they did it again on a pay per view undercard.

Although Mayweather is in some discussions among greats. Barrera and Martinez at least got to win lineal titles in their weight classes and beat some top contenders of their eras.

Cotto and Ward might end up on some ATG lists in a few years, we'll have to see how their careers turn out. That Ward win over Carl Froch is a good start. Ditto for the Cotto win over Margharito, but he might turn into another Kelley or Hearns, where he struggles against most of the big names he fights. Cotto at least beat Margacheato and Hearns at least got a win over Duran.
            Last edited by Anthony342; 03-30-2012, 05:37 AM.

Comment

Vinny Pazienza. One of the biggest hearts in boxing and always in an entertaining scrap.

One of my favorite knockouts of all time here in the 2nd round.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadman View Post
                Michael Katsidis
                Danny Williams
                Kelly Pavlik
                Sergei Liakhovich
                Ricardo Mayorga
                Edison Miranda
                Joshua Clottey (stone me, I like watching him)
                Samuel Peter
                Marcos Maidana
                David Tua
                Arturo "Frikkin!" Gatti

Hell, pretty much any gutsy brawler really.

brewster
                brewster
                brewster
                brewster

felt like making a few additions

Comment

Always liked watching David Tua.

Comment

Roger Mayweather's my favourite.

Lot's of others though. Bennie Briscoe I was fond of.

Comment

Working...
                    X