No announcement yet.

Throwback fighters

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Throwback fighters

By this I mean fighters who used a lot of techniques that you would expect to see in a Walcott/Moore/Burley etc fight

I have:
    James Toney:
    When I watch him I can see Walcotts head movement, Moores defensive posture, Wacott's counter right
    Bernard Hopkins:
    He uses the same defensive posture as a lot of the old school guys like Burley, Walcott
    Tony Tubbs:
    His style was very reminiscent of Walcott's in his fight with Bowe
    Does anyone know anymore?
    Last edited by Toney616; 06-11-2010, 09:15 AM.

Originally posted by -IronMike- View Post
    By this I mean fighters who used a lot of techniques that you would expect to see in a Walcott/Moore/Burley etc fight

I have:
    James Toney:
    When I watch him I can see Walcotts head movement, Moores defensive posture, Wacott's counter right
    Bernard Hopkins:
    He uses the same defenseive posture as a lot of the old school guys like Burley, Walcott
    Tony Tubbs:
    His style was very reminiscent of Walcott's in his fight with Bowe
    Does anyone know anymore?
    i agree with you on Toney & Tubbs but Hopkins no, Hopkins is a guy who brags that he is an old-school kinda fighter yet resembles them in no way.

Comment

Originally posted by sonnyboyx2 View Post
      i agree with you on Toney & Tubbs but Hopkins no, Hopkins is a guy who brags that he is an old-school kinda fighter yet resembles them in no way.
      What about his basic defensive posture? Its the same posture that Walcott, Burley and Moore have used from time to time
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81non05aKX4

Mike Tyson:
      His form of bobbing and weaving was reminiscent of Jack Dempsey's

Comment

Mike Tyson:
        His form of bobbing and weaving was reminiscent of Jack Dempsey's
        Its a bit different to what was known as the "Dempsey Roll" but tysons aggression and appearance (black shorts, ankle hight black boots, no socks or robe) was definatley reminiscent of dempsey!

Comment

Sugar Shane. That guy is straight out of the 50's the way he fights and how ****ing tough he is.
          Last edited by BigStereotype; 06-11-2010, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BigStereotype View Post
            Sugar Shane. That guy is straight out of the 50's the way he fights and how ****ing tough he is.
            Which old skool fighter does he remind you of?

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
              Its a bit different to what was known as the "Dempsey Roll" but tysons aggression and appearance (black shorts, ankle high black boots, no socks or robe) was definatley reminiscent of dempsey!
              I agree, he obviously based his look on Dempsey's. Can you think of any old skool fighter who bobbed and weaved like Tyson did?

Comment

I agree, he obviously based his look on Dempsey's. Can you think of any old skool fighter who bobbed and weaved like Tyson did?
                Well Frazier did bob around but it was different to Tysons style. Tyson's style was due to Cus who basically invented his own peek a boo style which was used effectively by Floyd Patterson and Jose Torres before Tyson.

Comment

Originally posted by The Iron Man View Post
                  Well Frazier did bob around but it was different to Tysons style. Tyson's style was due to Cus who basically invented his own peek a boo style which was used effectively by Floyd Patterson and Jose Torres before Tyson.
                  Havent watched much Patterson, apart from his fights with Moore and Liston. Never watched Torres fight either, hopefully Ill find something on youtube

Comment

Havent watched much Patterson, apart from his fights with Moore and Liston. Never watched Torres fight either, hopefully Ill find something on youtube
                    Check out some quick HL of Patterson's speed at his best.

From the GreatA

Start at 3:17

Comment

Working...
                    X