No announcement yet.

Lennox Lewis was going to retire after Tyson

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lennox Lewis was going to retire after Tyson

Just interesting as a lot of people say he was still prime when he fought Vitali and was planning to continue for a long time.

Ukraine-born Klitschko, who has lived in LA for the past two years, took Lewis to court in a bid to enforce his status as WBC mandatory contender. Lewis added: "In my mind I had it to retire after I knocked out Tyson.

"But then I decided against making an immediate decision and waited to see if boxing was still there in my blood.

"It was only a couple of months ago that I really got the taste again when all these guys were taking me to court.

"Klitschko took me to court to get my belts, the WBC wanted to strip me, so I thought 'If they want it that badly, then let them try to take it in the right place - the ring, not the courts'.

"This is not a grudge match against Klitschko but more against his promoter Peter Kohl.

"He's putting his little Vitali in the ring with the real lion and I'm getting the same kind of feeling as when I face a Don King boxer - he is going to get done."

Obviously beating Tyson meant a lot to him. That fight flew in air for the long time.
    I think in Lennox's head it's his biggest win regardless Tyson was a mess.

After that Lennox wasn't really that much into it - not necessarily physically (I think if prepared he could fight for few more years). Having tough night with hungry Vitali helped him make his mind. Nothing wrong with it - he chose right time to retire.

Comment

I'm glad he did fight Vitali and show even an out of shape Lewis would have stopped Vitali had they not stopped the fight.

Comment

I was going to say he should have retired then, but if he had then people would say he ducked Vitali just like they are saying now about a rematch, Those same people wouldn't say Vitali ducked Haye though if Vitali decided to retire...am sure of that.

Comment

Anyone who thinks Lewis was in his prime, physically or mentally, for that fight against Vitali needs their head checking.

Even so, look what an out of shape and un-focussed Lewis did to Vitali's eye. A focussed and in shape Lewis would have beaten the brakes off of Vitali.

Vitali wasn't a big name then too compared to now so I don't think Lewis had that fire in him. Once he had Tyson's name on his resume that was it for him.

Comment

who said he was still prime vs Vit?
            see a lotta bitching about the stoppage, but not claims Lewis was prime
            and he only fought on after Tyson since Wlad was coming up
            turns out he got Vit instead when Kirk checked out
            Lewis was clearly on the way out when he fought Vit

Comment

Lewis said me and Vitali had a great fight when we were at our best. Even if he wasn't quite at his best he was still near his prime.

Comment

lennox was so good he beat everyone from his era. that wasnt enough for him he had to destroy future hw great to further his legacy too. what a champ

Comment

Originally posted by Someone88 View Post
                  Lewis said me and Vitali had a great fight when we were at our best. Even if he wasn't quite at his best he was still near his prime.
                  Ehhhhh no.

Comment

Originally posted by P4P_No1 View Post
                    Ehhhhh no.
                    If he was washed up Vitali would have koed him, I didn't say Lewis was in his prime I said he was at least near his prime. People wanna be haters and not give credit to Vitali so they make things up but Lewis himself implied he was at least near his best.

Comment

Working...
                    X